Thanks. I don't know how large the fused egg was since I only saw shell. It seems normal, but size is clearly not the issue.
I am just so glad she is ok but you are also!

Ok well I will check in later almost quitting time here! Woohoo home to my ponies and chickens!

There is no danger for the pill to go down the wrong tunnel? Either side is fine?
You should read up a bit and look at some pictures until you feel confident - when I get a minute later I will post some for you - but there are lots on this site.
Basically the airway is in the middle at the back of the tongue and the oesophagus is behind and goes on both sides and is more oriented to the chicken's right.
So, if you put something to the side on the chicken's right it will go down into the crop.
Once you have popped the thing in let the chicken move its head freely and it will 'adjust' things.
@micstrachan is really the expert here so she can probably describe it better. I like to think of it as putting it inside the chicken's cheek - which is nonsense because they don't really have cheeks but that is what it feels like to me!
The key is to keep it to the side and then let her handle it from there!

Edited to add: Of course the real key is having a treat immediately handy to say thank you for being a good girl!

Someone’s been eating eggs in my tribe! :barnie I have no idea who it is, but I’m watching the coop closely now. 👀
One of our oldest hens eats eggs so I check the nest box frequently. Several of my dogs do to so i check all the popular spots before I loose the pups. I use to get mad but we give eggs away so I ain't grudging the pups a treat.

One of our oldest hens eats eggs so I check the nest box frequently. Several of my dogs do to so i check all the popular spots before I loose the pups. I use to get mad but we give eggs away so I ain't grudging the pups a treat.
Egg eating from a chicken is bad news for the tribe. It can become contagious. 😢

Back
Top Bottom