I collect rainwater with a 275 gallon IBC tote. You can get recycled food-graded ones pretty easily. I am not short of rain here in the southeast NC (for example, sometimes I don't turn on the sprinkler for half a month.), but I like the fact that I have it and it is good in an emergency situation. [rain water going through a Berkey filter is decent drinking water]

I highly recommend you set up one (or 2, 3...).
Yup - I have about five 50-70 gallon ones for plants, chickens, emergencies. But it is still only a fraction of what I could collect if I had a more ambitious system. Most of the time my barrels are all overflowing - but they have been empty for almost a month now.
One nice side-effect is far fewer mosquitoes!

Yup - I have about five 50-70 gallon ones for plants, chickens, emergencies. But it is still only a fraction of what I could collect if I had a more ambitious system. Most of the time my barrels are all overflowing - but they have been empty for almost a month now.
Here, you can have some of my mosquitoes : 🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟:sick

Most of our efforts regarding water have been centered on the garden, because that's hundred of liters daily. It's not much use taking the quickest shower possible and using dry toilets if we put on automatic aspersion watering all night. We've switched some sectors to manual watering , others from aspersion to drip irrigation, we've mulched heavily everywhere, and have globally diminished watering. But as I mentioned on Shadrach's thread we have come to the conclusion that it's not reasonable to have such a big garden for the two of us and next year we'll reduce by almost half cultivated surfaces.

Fluffy butts for Friday!
Teen fluff not happy to show her butt- Lea.
IMG_20220819_140712.jpg

A swinging butt, Cannelle.
IMG_20220819_133753~2.jpg

King disco Butt, Théo.
IMG_20220819_134006~2.jpg

I think so, maybe just a little.

Ginger was grounded for a while during yesterday's morning free range. When I let her out, she needed to lay. When she was finally out and about, she was in a very different area than where Inky was.
That's good. I hope it continues this way for you.

Most of our efforts regarding water have been centered on the garden, because that's hundred of liters daily. It's not much use taking the quickest shower possible and using dry toilets if we put on automatic aspersion watering all night. We've switched some sectors to manual watering , others from aspersion to drip irrigation, we've mulched heavily everywhere, and have globally diminished watering. But as I mentioned on Shadrach's thread we have come to the conclusion that it's not reasonable to have such a big garden for the two of us and next year we'll reduce by almost half cultivated surfaces.

Fluffy butts for Friday!
Teen fluff not happy to show her butt- Lea.
View attachment 3228302

A swinging butt, Cannelle.
View attachment 3228303
King disco Butt, Théo.
View attachment 3228304
Lovely bums all. 🥰

Wow, that is really dry. I guess I'd take mosquitoes over drought.

Back
Top Bottom