3 silky gals and neither have went broody ever. But the EE mutts got the broody thing covered 🤣
Don't worry, I was worried for a while that I had a "broken" silkie as well. When I got Chiquita I was told she was constantly broody, had went broody 10 times last year. The stress of moving to a new home must not have bothered her at all as within a few days she was already laying. Now I got her about the 2nd week of January. February rolls around and I start looking at her waiting for her to go broody. A month passes, and another and another no inclination to hatch chicks at all. Just about every other hen on the place is either raising chicks or wanting to and she off in her own little "child free" world. Finally in July the big day happened and my little Chiquita turned into "Angry floof" and wanted babies NOW. I was thrilled, immediately gave her 2 eggs and viola we have "Goose and Hoppy". Goose and Hoppy are 9 weeks and Chiquita has started back laying this week, in 5 days I've gotten 4 eggs. I thought she would start weaning the chicks now that she is laying but nope, she only passes them off to Branch to chick-sit while she lays her egg. She has not even attempted to teach them to roost yet, they still sleep in the nest where she hatched them under her. It was a long wait but totally worth it to have a broody silkie.

As for those commenting on grandma naming a few chicks, she has already changed the names of some of my chickens. As far as she's concerned Bubba is "Big Red", Chiquita is 'Fuzzy'. She calls the 3 new orp girls "Goldie 1, Goldie 2, and Goldie 3." It can get confusing when she calls them one thing and their name is something else.

As for those commenting on grandma naming a few chicks, she has already changed the names of some of my chickens. As far as she's concerned Bubba is "Big Red", Chiquita is 'Fuzzy'. She calls the 3 new orp girls "Goldie 1, Goldie 2, and Goldie 3." It can get confusing when she calls them one thing and their name is something else.
I think the chickens will figure it out.

You should always honor your elders. :old Just name them afterwords!

Back
Top Bottom