Hi, everyone. Can we talk about molt a little more? Seven of my eight hens are in some stage of molt. How about the rest of your birds?
A bunch of ours are molting. There's feathers spread all over the backyard. Feeding a mix of feather fixer and all flock. Not too worried as it hasn't started cooling yet but we will start seeing lows in the 50s Monday night.

ā€¦..and all will be Roos šŸ„ŗ
After Pancho got killed and his gals were without a rooster. Lety went rooster crazy. According to @Shadraca 2-3 hens to 1 rooster is a good ratio. I have certain roosters that are sworn enemies so they don't get to free range together. I love see multiple handsome roosters and hearing their different crows and none of our tribes will be rooster less should an accident happen.

Hello everyone! After a day of rain yesterday we had some beautiful eerie automne lights this morning.
IMG_20220925_074201.jpg

IMG_20220925_071528.jpg

IMG_20220925_070834.jpg

IMG_20220925_080755.jpg

You have some lovely chickens but Little Merle is showing off why I really love the black chickens in my flock. Before I got mine I always thought of black chickens as boring. A black chicken is never boring and truly not black either. Depending on the time of day they are either blue, green or purple toned. Your not going to get that color changing effect with any other color of chicken. Well, maybe white, they can turn themselves into the color of mud but that is about it. Merle also reminds me a lot of Raven as a youngster. She has that look about her, is she a trouble maker?
Thank you and to everyone who commented on Merle ! Up to now she hasn't been a trouble maker, but she's very daring, not at all human shy, and also very independent - she often goes off to wander on her own. So maybe she could make trouble one day. She also likes to perch high on trees but I think that's pretty common for smaller, lighter chickens!
I got two photos with Chipie and Piou-piou to show sizes. Merle is now definitely bigger. Piou-piou and Chipie are about the same but I think Piou-piou will get bigger than Chipie pretty soon.
IMG_20220925_091649.jpg

IMG_20220925_075531.jpg

Hi, everyone. Can we talk about molt a little more? Seven of my eight hens are in some stage of molt. How about the rest of your birds?
No heavy molters for now, but almost all are molting, even the younger ones. Chipie has lost all her wing's feathers and so has Gastounet. All my ex-batts are molting, I think ThĆ©o is almost done now. Although it was forecasted we haven't had real cold yet , it's 45 /8 in the morning, but we did light the stove yesterday evening for the first time. I got some fish meal delivered to help with the protein. I'm mixing ten per cent with the layer feed. The chickens like it, but the cats love it šŸ™„šŸ˜¬.

Hello everyone! After a day of rain yesterday we had some beautiful eerie automne lights this morning.
View attachment 3270984

View attachment 3270986

View attachment 3270985

View attachment 3270983

Thank you and to everyone who commented on Merle ! Up to now she hasn't been a trouble maker, but she's very daring, not at all human shy, and also very independent - she often goes off to wander on her own. So maybe she could make trouble one day. She also likes to perch high on trees but I think that's pretty common for smaller, lighter chickens!
I got two photos with Chipie and Piou-piou to show sizes. Merle is now definitely bigger. Piou-piou and Chipie are about the same but I think Piou-piou will get bigger than Chipie pretty soon.
View attachment 3270989
View attachment 3270992

No heavy molters for now, but almost all are molting, even the younger ones. Chipie has lost all her wing's feathers and so has Gastounet. All my ex-batts are molting, I think ThĆ©o is almost done now. Although it was forecasted we haven't had real cold yet , it's 45 /8 in the morning, but we did light the stove yesterday evening for the first time. I got some fish meal delivered to help with the protein. I'm mixing ten per cent with the layer feed. The chickens like it, but the cats love it šŸ™„šŸ˜¬.
Gorgeous pictures as always. And Merle ā¤ļø ā¤ļø
What kind of fishmeal do you use? The same as is sold for gardens or something specific for food purposes? I am wondering about how to supplement with fish meal. Meanwhile, I am just using starter/grower chicken feed (the insect protein based one).

View attachment 3270984

View attachment 3270986

View attachment 3270985

View attachment 3270983

View attachment 3270989
View attachment 3270992

Those misty pics are beautiful! (So are the chickensšŸ˜‰)

Gorgeous pictures as always. And Merle ā¤ļø ā¤ļø
What kind of fishmeal do you use? The same as is sold for gardens or something specific for food purposes? I am wondering about how to supplement with fish meal. Meanwhile, I am just using starter/grower chicken feed (the insect protein based one).
I'm taking a tin of sardines out to my birds later today, making sure every single moulting bird gets some, but sharing a bit with all of them.

Nobody is having a full on molt.
Thatā€™s good.

I put Dorothy in the feed room were itā€™s warm this morning. I gave her an egg but she wasnā€™t interested in it.

But I gave her some layer mixed with chick starter which she dug into, and I topped it off with some scratch treats.

View attachment 3270984

View attachment 3270986

View attachment 3270985

View attachment 3270983

View attachment 3270989
View attachment 3270992

Beautiful landscape, very dramatic, I love the way the fog hangs in the valleys ā¤ļø

I bet the cats love the fish meal, I think we have something similar here, I should get some for my flock ā¤ļø

Back
Top Bottom