Maggie definitely has her stuffing coming out. Poor girl. I actually see more Diana feathers on the ground but you can’t tell by looking at her.

View attachment 3271140
She is still lovely, even if she does need a 'comb over' (feather over?) in a spot or two!:love

I am loving how drapey her ear lobes are getting - they are almost as big as her wattles! ❤️

She is still lovely, even if she does need a 'comb over' (feather over?) in a spot or two!:love

I am loving how drapey her ear lobes are getting - they are almost as big as her wattles! ❤️
Okay, this is a question that I have been mulling over... do their ear lobes keep growing as they get older? 🤔

I have noticed that Hattie has a very nice set of lobes as well and wondered if they were always this large or is larger ear lobes a sign of a long life?

She has lots of pin feathers in the bald parts so I am optimistic she will be more covered soon. It is getting chilly - down to mid 40s F at night and a bit windy so I have closed a couple of windows in the Chicken Palace to make sure she isn't sitting in a draft (particularly as she keeps not getting her wall hugging spot due to Bernadette's pushiness).
I realize I don't know how molting works - do new feathers push the old ones out of their follicles, or do new ones appear in different spots.
Hmmm - I need to go look that up.

Okay, this is a question that I have been mulling over... do their ear lobes keep growing as they get older? 🤔

I have noticed that Hattie has a very nice set of lobes as well and wondered if they were always this large or is larger ear lobes a sign of a long life?
I have no idea really, but to me it looks like the same as old men having long droopy ear lobes - I think it is gravity over time and so a sign of age.
I will look back at old photos of Maggie - but I am pretty sure both ear lobes and wattles have got longer with age.
She is now 3+1/2 which I guess counts as an old lady in her world.

Jessica did.
Ahhh, that's who it was. I remembered tht somebody went broody in Feb.! And Jessica is such a lovely gal, I would have thought she would have more sense than that! On the other hand, @Ponypoor 's silkies were (are?) just such broody girls - they wanted to be mom's in the worst way. I agree with you & @RebeccaBoyd 's sentiments that they WILL try to hide & hatch.

She has lots of pin feathers in the bald parts so I am optimistic she will be more covered soon. It is getting chilly - down to mid 40s F at night and a bit windy so I have closed a couple of windows in the Chicken Palace to make sure she isn't sitting in a draft (particularly as she keeps not getting her wall hugging spot due to Bernadette's pushiness).
I realize I don't know how molting works - do new feathers push the old ones out of their follicles, or do new ones appear in different spots.
Hmmm - I need to go look that up.
I'm glad you said that.....I wasn't sure if it was like baby teeth ( being pushed out by new, permanent teeth), or if old ones were shed and then new started to grow in empty place. I found this. Seems like a reputable site. ??

Happy Girl GIF by Ethan Barnowsky
I only 'read' the chart, will read the whole article later....need to unload feed & shavings before the rain! Ta-ta for now
Good Bye No GIF

Back
Top Bottom