As most of you know I made the typical new chicken servant error of purchasing chicks before having the coop and run built. I also used the we will have plenty of time excuse to justify doing so.

So, we did indeed manage to get the coop built and secured in the nick of time (read that as a week later then intended) but we are still working on the run. Its mostly completed but we ran out of hardware cloth so its on a short temporary hold.

Today instead of working on the run I made gravity feeders and waters out of 5 gallon buckets with a kit I found on Amazon. Amazingly I participated in a DIY miracle as this actually went off with zero issues both feeders and waters were completed quickly and with no oh crap! now what?? moments. So now I have 2 waters 2 feeders of decent size for adult birds. My plan was to to have water and food available inside the coop and in the run.

I have read conflicting information on food in the coop. Some do so some say oh no don’t. Which camp are you guys in and why?
Well done on the coop and the feeders and waterers!

I have food and water inside the coop and also in each of my two main runs. Then there are some feed bowls out in the yard that collect wild water!

I basically like to give lots of options so they don't squabble and because they are spoiled brats! Also, if it is ever very, very cold they can stay in the shelter of the coop. My coop is quite large (14'x10') and has high ceilings, lots of ventilation and a dirt floor with deep litter - so I have never really worried too much about spillage, and honestly with a nipple or gravity waterer hung off the floor there really isn't much spillage.

Thank you for the weather perspective I did not consider that and makes an excellent case for keeping a feeder in the coop as well as outside in the run. Thank you very much.
Keeping water from freezing is the bigger challenge. A local rancher family told me their tip early on in my chicken keeping. They have crock pots scattered around their property (wherever electrical outlets and a bit of shelter can come together). Set on warm and the water doesn't freeze but doesn't get too hot either. They're more economical too. Full crested birds it doesn't work so well for as the feathers get wet while they're drinking. Summer: not a problem. Winter, the feathers freeze. Thing will be getting another crest trim as soon as her new feathers are safe to trim....never thought I'd look forward to doing a mullet cut....

Yes, I do, but was thinking that it would help create a mini-climate by them, especially if you added heat - the two combined should make a significant difference. You could also let one edge drop, too. (so, hung above their heads, but maybe 1 ft. along the length hang down so it sort of creates a pocket (sheet becomes L shaped as hung)....but can still let heat rise along the other edge. Hope this makes sense what I'm trying to describe.

This way the heat would be more effective and not 100% just raise and exit. I don't think the micro climate will be hugely warmer, but I do think it would make a difference versus no sheet above. You won't (as my parents would say) "heat the outdoors' so much.
Yes - totally get what you mean - I need to think about a canopy option - maybe even an umbrella would work (thinking of @ManueB's picture of the other day).

Big roosting drama this evening.
Maggie secured the prime spot - up against the wall - and she glued herself to the wall.

Bernie tried her usual trick of jumping up and making everyone shuffle to the side but Maggie was prepared for her and wouldn't budge. This initially led to a long staring contest with Bernie below the roost on the platform beak to beak with Maggie on the prime roost spot.
No pecking just staring - just like cats do before they really go at it!

Bernie made her move but couldn't dislodge Maggie so she landed between Maggie and Diana. Bad mistake!

The two old ladies unceremoniously booted her off the roost entirely and she had to fly back up and get the end slot next to Diana.

Funny chickens!
Good job ladies, lecturing the little brat 🤣 Bernie deserved it ......

and a dirt floor with deep litter
Do you intentionally dump water when you clean out the waterers? I forgot that you do deep litter... deep litter should generate some heat from decomposition process ( not unlike a compost pile) However, it doesn't really work in a roofed area unless you introduce a bit of water (not a lot, but some).

Do you intentionally dump water when you clean out the waterers? I forgot that you do deep litter... deep litter should generate some heat from decomposition process ( not unlike a compost pile) However, it doesn't really work in a roofed area unless you introduce a bit of water (not a lot, but some).
Yes I do. And you are right it is too dry to generate heat.

Back
Top Bottom