Chooks are in full swing out and about and pecking my chicken boots
left to right: malefacent, freya, dottie, Isis View attachment 3277272IsisView attachment 3277273View attachment 3277274ChloeView attachment 3277275MalefacentView attachment 3277276summerView attachment 3277277Dotties having a talk with me she took my seat.
662dcdd3-1b71-4572-ab4a-8c8a1a186f8c-jpeg.3277278
View attachment 3277280
Such cuties!!! I miss my Sunshine.
3C167997-0766-492B-8A2B-ED21BDD20A84.jpeg

Ester had a really strange, staggered squat walk when she had a winter hard molt. It mostly seemed like discomfort, but she stopped eating completely and started having neurological issues. She was inside with heat and tube feeding for two weeks! She seemed to fully recover, except she never really laid again.

Less than a year later, I had her euthanized because her crop stopped completely, besides my best efforts, and an avian vet was unable to draw flu off, even though she had ascites. It turned out she had a thickened abdominal wall and advanced ovarian cancer, blocking her digestive tract. I’m glad your Dorothy is just having a hard molt
:hugs

Ester had a really strange, staggered squat walk when she had a winter hard molt. It mostly seemed like discomfort, but she stopped eating completely and started having neurological issues. She was inside with heat and tube feeding for two weeks! She seemed to fully recover, except she never really laid again.

Less than a year later, I had her euthanized because her crop stopped completely, besides my best efforts, and an avian vet was unable to draw fluid off, even though she had ascites. It turned out she had a thickened abdominal wall and advanced ovarian cancer, blocking her digestive tract. I’m glad your Dorothy is just having a hard molt.
Oh no that’s so sad! Yes Dorothy seems much better now that the feathers have started coming along. She had a few days she wasn’t interested n eating some I have her scrambled eggs which she scarfed back, and o have aome chick starter from last year.

She spent the whole afternoon out side digging and sunbathing 😊

Rained most of the day. Only birds I saw when I got home were the junior trio of hormones. Rain mostly stopped. Had dinner, went to close coop....head count: 23....where's Pippa? Back out. Start search under the olives, calling....glance over toward the wood pile (her preferred hangout, and eyeballed on way to coop). There she is (no idea where she'd been when I walked by going to the coop). "Pippa, come on, girl, let's go." (From next to the olive trees). Response: speedy chicken dash across the yard to me. She starts to head in, Hector comes out. Instant about face and off she bolts, him in hot pursuit. Looped around the coop, not quite sure what happened, but suddenly back she comes, only to take flight...to my shoulder. Hector pulls up short (he isn't too keen on flying other than up to roost). Walk into coop, attempt to get her to step off onto nest box ledge.........
Great....now I have dirty chicken toes tangled into my French braid (plait for UK term). Let me just say, untangling chicken toes from a braid behind your head, while bent over a bit and twisting so she has support/isn't panicking over terrible footing is HARD! Finally successful, WITHOUT her freaking out, only to find Hector is lurking outside the door rather than inside....inside head count: still 23. Eventually he went in, closed/secured the doors. Now to go wash my hair...
Ewww been there! The different sorts of manure I have had in my Mouth, nose , ears, hair is quite a good list, goats, sheeps, cattle, horses, now chickens….

It good for the immune system I say! 😊

Back
Top Bottom