Awwww. poor Theo', Chipie has left him in the dust and moved on:(. I always thought Theo' was very handsome...and he was always very attentive to Chipie!

Isn't Gaston Chipie's son? Or am I remembering that wrong. I am glad that Gaston finally has some 'friends' (FWB)!
Chipie hatched the eggs for us but she's not their genetic mum, they came from the same farmer friend she did , the human Gaston 🙂.
I think the story is not over yet. Chipie and Théo already had a bad fall apart when she went broody and when she took care of the chicks, and when she rejected the chicks they came back together and had a new honeymoon phase ! Gaston is still very much clueless, when he was two months old he did try to mate Chipie and also Vanille just before she died, but now I only saw him vaguely try once. He is very food focused. I think I will only know what the dynamics will be when he becomes a young rooster and not just a silly goofy huge cockerel.
I just landed back in US. First thing I do before the plane doors are open is check on the Chicken Palace.
Have you (virtually) seen them yet ?

Where's the best place to get silkie eggs?
That is a loaded question. If you have facebook you can look on your local poultry groups and may find some eggs. I have a facebook friend who is still shipping silkie eggs about once a week. These eggs are not cheap though as they are not simply pet quality silkies. I want them, and if my mind does not change I'm getting a dozen next spring.

Chipie hatched the eggs for us but she's not their genetic mum, they came from the same farmer friend she did , the human Gaston 🙂.
I think the story is not over yet. Chipie and Théo already had a bad fall apart when she went broody and when she took care of the chicks, and when she rejected the chicks they came back together and had a new honeymoon phase ! Gaston is still very much clueless, when he was two months old he did try to mate Chipie and also Vanille just before she died, but now I only saw him vaguely try once. He is very food focused. I think I will only know what the dynamics will be when he becomes a young rooster and not just a silly goofy huge cockerel.

Have you (virtually) seen them yet ?
Yes! And now in person. Somewhat to my surprise everyone seems fine. Maggie is still molting badly but seems to be coping with the indignity of having no tail.
It is raining and apparently has been for a couple of days. Good, we need it. The Princesses have been confined to their quarters - but two of their areas are open to the rain and they seem to be having fun digging in the big pile of leaves I put in there before leaving.
Wet leaves = worms and bugs!

Finally got proof. Asphodel is laying.
20221005_120747.jpg
1 egg under her.

20221005_121136.jpg
Now there's 2.
20221005_121233.jpg
In emerging from the nest box, she's nest building.
20221005_121610.jpg
And pacing in front, continuing to "nest build".
20221005_121540.jpg
Her egg is on the right.

Back
Top Bottom