My Dr doesnt have my cardiac results yet she will message me when they come in. I am type 2 dibetic now and she is calling in medicine for my blood sugar.
Sorry to hear all this...plus earlier appt., what a rough day! I hope that the cardiac test results are good. Hopefully good control of blood sugar will help with some of the pain. (High blood sugars cause inflammation...and makes joints hurt...and if really bad, makes you feel like you were run over by a Mack truck.)

:fl🙏 Hope that all this gets sorted out & you start feeling better.

Health tax:

IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1703.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG

You can't really see it well in the picture, but the geese have the prettiest blue eyes!

90/10 Rule

I have just responded to the Cracked Corn article today. They quote the 90/10 rule when providing treats to chickens. I thought that perhaps a visualization of what that means might be useful.

Here is a bit of a copy of what I posted.

Chicken feed rates are most commonly expressed in studies as weight or mass not volume. Most of these studies were done to measure the delivery of antibiotics in feed. Despite that they do give a starting point to determine how much your chicken eats per day.

If we use a study done by B.B. Buck in 1985 they categorized feed consumption as a % of body weight.

So if we look at a 3.5 lb chicken, say a Polish or a Leghorn hen, they consumed 6.7% of their weight by day in feed. Let's convert lbs to ounces in order to make determining 10% easier. 3.5 lbs × 16 = 56 oz x 6.7% = 3.752 ounces of feed per day. That is about 3/4 of a cup.

View attachment 3283917

10% of that would be 0.3752 oz of corn or no more than a palm-full per day.

View attachment 3283918

Let's look at a bigger chicken, your typical layer. Not a dual purpose bird like an orpington, just a standard hen say around 5 lbs. In the study, a 5.5 lb chicken consumed 5.0% of their body weight. 5.5 lbs × 16 = 88 oz x 5.0% = 4.4 oz feed per day. That is approaching a cup of feed.

View attachment 3283920

10% of that is 0.44 oz of corn or again, no more than a palm-full per day.

View attachment 3283918

As you can see despite increasing the size of the chicken, it is still about a palm-full of corn per day.

View attachment 3283919
Awesome presentation of information Bob!

A few negative comments about poultry being allowed in my house, but I’m sure they didn’t mean anything by it. I have an open door policy, where my chooks are concerned !
My family knows that.
At our house if ya don't like dog slobber and chicken poop you won't like it here and we're ok with that. I love our animals but only like a few people 🤣

Rough day today. 7 hour call with Amazon robotics but I got my stations fixed. My worst ankle is swollen to twice regular size so dinner is 800mg of ibuprofen and 2 solo cups of peach brandy.
Hope the ankle feels better...probably will after that dinner! :hugs:hugs:hugs Is there nothing that can be done for the ankle?

Back
Top Bottom