Yep that is why I built the steps and made them with 6" wide planks! Some of the kiddos will use the steps to go up and down, but those silkies are dare-devils! they just launch themselves.

Likely need their feathers cropped back again also.

I think I will remove the steps (though old Penelope and some of the others use them), so the Silkies cannot get up to the top of the roost. This will need some further thought.

That was a funny as I had hoped! 😆

Actually that is exactly how I pictured it could be done but I didn't want to get too pushy or editorial about it!

There's enough action/thought in each verse to hold it's own page. The refrain is this beautiful repeating motif with a slight difference or two that's got it's own thing going on too and deserves it's own page.

OK so here's my other thought. Kids (and older kids like me) enjoy finding interesting things in pictures beyond the main subject. So I think of the general page treatment & backgrounds. This is where the artist could have nice input and illustrate your ideas. Could be a special theme each verse and refrain might have. Could be flowers framing a picture, or plants or trees in there, the grass, or the Hut or Hattie House or other features. Even dusty specks floating in warm rays of sunshine. Something that gives context for each action/thought.
Thanks. That's very helpful!

The other common mistake I know of is overfilling the fryer, not leaving enough room for the turkey, so oil overflows as the bird goes in. My brother in law did a lot of research the year he deep fried his.

I don't eat meat so I can't say what way is best, but I loved that year as it kept the turkey smell outside until dinner time!
Oh - I would cook outside for you in that case. Do you eat eggs?

(See how I worked something chicken in there 😊)

My issue is one of space - that is only 4' wide x 10' long. It looks like I will have to cut down those roosts to 2.5' so that the Silkies are not endangered, and the big girls and Mr P can still get up onto those nest boxes.

View attachment 3336633
So put in more boxes instead of the roosts, with everything lower. OR! - Make them 2.5 feet off of the "floor", but create a "floor" up 1.5 feet with a 4x8 piece of plywood on cinder blocks or something. (The rat can run under there before he meets his/her maker around Christmas.) The door is open during the day, right? They like that window up there too. So they'll still feel that they're going up nicely high to roost. But once the door is closed there's no flying down to the actual floor level.

So put in more boxes instead of the roosts, with everything lower. OR! - Make them 2.5 feet off of the "floor", but create a "floor" up 1.5 feet with a 4x8 piece of plywood on cinder blocks or something. (The rat can run under there before he meets his/her maker around Christmas.) The door is open during the day, right? They like that window up there too. So they'll still feel that they're going up nicely high to roost. But once the door is closed there's no flying down to the actual floor level.
If it wasn't for my over active imagination thinking a rat can kill my silkies I would let them roost on the floor!

I am not opposed to more nest boxes - we have to clean the roosts daily anyways. And the boxes that are used by whoever wants to at night...

Back
Top Bottom