Hello everyone. I have been feeling loopy today and I'm not sure why. Could be flu or something. I've been having a slight headache and my eyes feel like they are going to close. I highly suggest you have some lemonade, blueberries and garlic soup. I lost my appetite at first but was able to eat small portions of blueberries and half a glass of lemonade. Grandma came inside today and she was listening to the World Cup while sitting in the kitchen. We gave her cucumbers and uncooked oatmeal but she didn't seem too hungry.
There’s a virus going around on the internet. Some of us on BYC have had flu like symptoms. :idunno

Except I didn't say how vaporized or droplet grease that ignites will quickly ignite everything around it on a kind of chain reaction...
Grease fire tax
From back left and a bit nervous about standing on the new hemp instead of the good old oak leaves, which I can't get dry ones anymore, sorry guys! Popcorn, Butters, Peanut, and in front Hazel exploring the new shavings
View attachment 3337303
Such beauties :) I love their dark tail feathers.

There’s a virus going around on the internet. Some of us on BYC have had flu like symptoms. :idunno
You stay away from me Mr! Being sick in Camp is no fun!
Good morning so far! Jaffar is still inside with us. Not a crow at all from him yet (rule: no crowing in the house) but I need to get something off my chest. Coco is laying comfortably on my chest and I can’t pet her ( molt hurts her) I’m gonna have to get up sometime today! :hugs
Awww - such a good chicken papa. other than the no crowing rule! :)

I have my cameras on while I am eating breakfast and Mr P crows up a storm while I am checking emails - just like home :) Not sure what the Engineering Intern will think next week when he arrives and hears that at 5:30AM hahaha!

Ask Aurora

Our very first question comes from Diana.

View attachment 3337054

Diana asks:

Dear Aurora,
I am the ruler of my little tribe but Bernadette keeps taking my roosting spot. I peck her on the head but she ignores me. She jumps on top of me and she is very big. She has no manners.

What can I do?

Diana

Diana,
I am going to make a guess that you have achieved your lofty position through survival and attrition and not through ambition and action. It is clear that this insolent tramp Bernadette has no respect for her betters, including you. My guess is that you have one of these soft humans who dotes on you all and wishes “everyone would just get along”. Don’t listen to her. She knows nothing about the way of chickens. I am going to provide you with some advice that I hope you are hen enough to appreciate.

First and foremost, Niccolo Machiavelli said it best when he said, “He who wishes to be obeyed must know how to command.” It is clear you do not know how to command and do not have the respect of your lessors. So how do you gain the respect of your lessors? I can sum it up in one word.

FEAR

They need to fear you. More importantly, they need to fear your capriciousness. Attacking out of the blue for no apparent reason over nothing is a great way to engender fear and gain their respect. This needs to be a constant campaign. My second in command is much larger than me but is a sweet lady. Everybody loves her. They call her Hattie the Nice. She used to tell me to stop taking her food. Ha! I took it anyway.

How was I able to crush her and become Queen of my Tribe? I tried fighting her one on one, but like Bernadette, she was larger than me and others helped her because she was nice. However, I constantly harassed her and when the opportunity arose to pass her, I seized it. I now spend time every day attacking her for no reason. She must be constantly reminded that I am her better. To quote the great Machiavelli again, “It is much more secure to be feared than to be loved.”

You pecking Bernadette in the head only at bedtime when she takes something that is rightfully yours is pitiful. She does not fear it. I’m sure you give up after a couple of pecks and accept that she has taken what is yours for the night. Have you ever just thrown her off the roost for no reason? Try it sometime. It feels amazing.

I hope for your sake you take my advice and begin your campaign of fear soon. If not, it is certain that someday a hen with ambition, like yours truly, will come along and depose you as I did with Hattie the Nice. In fact, this Bernadette kind of reminds me of someone. You better get her in line quickly or you may suffer the same fate that Hattie did.

View attachment 3337057
Holy jumping jellybeans! HAHAHAHA!

That was awesomely splendid - I enjoyed that thoroughly.

"Have you ever just thrown her off the roost for no reason? Try it sometime. It feels amazing."

I almost fell off my chair laughing here. Sums up a few of mine for sure!

Back
Top Bottom