That’s good. Definitely good. Fruitcakes and pastries are allowed though. Well, my (late) mother in law’s rum balls could get me tipsy after about 5… I do wish Andrew had memorized that recipient and not just her shortbread cookies…
What’s to memorize? Just soak whatever not is in Screech and you’re good to go (face first that is!).

Rum Rye Ro Tax
Yippie!
5262F4C4-026C-4F32-9300-195BB8493361.jpeg

Ok how much of the fruit juice is fermented??? Lol 😉
Kris, I run my barn cams at 05:30am here, and Mr P is hooting and hollering and crowing up a storm! Can’t wait till next week when the Engineer Intern arrives hahaha he is in the wellsite next to me 😁 welcome to the Chin Inn where Roos rule!

I am so waiting to see what the babies are going to look like… because between the broodies and that handsome boy, I would say that babies are a safe bet for next year!
Nope not happening! You and Rebecca are bad bad bad!

Not that I wouldn’t love to hatch out some, but then likely they will all be Roos and I will be all upset all over again 😢😢😢😢

But yep bet they would be cute little suckers!

Ya not to worry it’s only -27… not -60!

But ya I really wonder how people keep chickens and such up here!

@Lexicon we need your cold weather expertise with chickens!!!
@Ponypoor I am lucky that my husband is retired, so he keeps an eye out for the hens while I am work, but I give them a variety of different foods during winter since they don't get to forage on their own including fermented feed, grass that I grow in buckets inside my house, sardines when they are moulting and scratch, plus certain high value household scraps. No one is laying eggs currently which is a relief since we don't have to worry about eggs freezing.

I have fairy lights in the coop that I turn on in the morning because we only get about five hours of daylight in the dead of winter and I don't feel that is enough time to get sufficient food.

I also have an oil filled radiator that I turn on when it is really cold like this morning when it was -32C. It's still below freezing in the coop, but much nicer.

Since the girls are moulting right now, they spend a lot time working on their feathers and helping their friends with those hard to reach pin feathers.

I give them the ashes from the wood stove to dust bathe in under a covered roof. I have two areas that are covered, plus the area under a smaller raised coop that I set up this summer.

On nice days I still sit out with them. They love it when I bunch up some straw and sit on the ground. They gather around and we have a preening party! Plus they love to eat snow off my boots.

It's not terribly cold every day, so we enjoy the mild days like when it's warmer than -10C.

@Ponypoor I am lucky that my husband is retired, so he keeps an eye out for the hens while I am work, but I give them a variety of different foods during winter since they don't get to forage on their own including fermented feed, grass that I grow in buckets inside my house, sardines when they are moulting and scratch, plus certain high value household scraps. No one is laying eggs currently which is a relief since we don't have to worry about eggs freezing.

I have fairy lights in the coop that I turn on in the morning because we only get about five hours of daylight in the dead of winter and I don't feel that is enough time to get sufficient food.

I also have an oil filled radiator that I turn on when it is really cold like this morning when it was -32C. It's still below freezing in the coop, but much nicer.

Since the girls are moulting right now, they spend a lot time working on their feathers and helping their friends with those hard to reach pin feathers.

I give them the ashes from the wood stove to dust bathe in under a covered roof. I have two areas that are covered, plus the area under a smaller raised coop that I set up this summer.

On nice days I still sit out with them. They love it when I bunch up some straw and sit on the ground. They gather around and we have a preening party! Plus they love to eat snow off my boots.

It's not terribly cold every day, so we enjoy the mild days like when it's warmer than -10C.
Yes I worry about the reduced hours and food intake for my gang also. When I get home at Christmas I think I will put some light on timers in Trulys stall were they like to hang out. Set it for when mum does chores in the morning and goes off around 9am.

Back
Top Bottom