Has anyone seen anything like this before?

This is Bernadette. She has these strange feathers. They are like long, fine, silky hairs - like an extended fluff feather but with only the shaft and a few feathery bits at the end.
This is not new - I have noticed them for a while now but hadn't got a good photo to share until today.
She is acting normally - and as you can see it is not all her fluff feathers, but it is not just a couple either.
Any ideas?
Is it worth posting on the illnesses and injuries forum? At this stage it is more a curiosity than a concern - but it would be good to know if someone else has seen it before.
WDYT?

View attachment 3340696View attachment 3340697View attachment 3340698
Could she have just a bit of silkie in her? Otherwise, I'm completely stumped 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ Hope it is nothing to worry about!

Last edited:
Could she has just a bit of silkie in her? Otherwise, I'm completely stumped 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ Hope it is nothing to worry about!
Oh! Is that what Silkie feathers look like? I have never seen one up close!
I have no idea but isn’t it a spontaneous mutation that can just appear in random chickens?

How do you quote an individual post on another thread? I’d like to link to an update on Lucky.
Multi quote will do that for you. I just tested it.

Next to the like button at the bottom of all posts is the +quote that will allow you to quote from another thread into this one.

Then when you go to type your message tap attach quote it will appear next to attach files at the bottom of text box.

Hope that helps!

A bit of research reveals that birds have a type of feather called a filoplume. All the pictures look identical to what Bernie has.
They act like cats whiskers - ie a strong sensory function - things like wind speed etc.
The only problem is they are supposed to be very short whereas Bernie's are very long.
I think I might post these on a thread to see if any BYC folk have experience.
Here is a diagram showing a filoplume feather.
Can everyone have a look and see if their chickens have them too?

1670188663005.png

A bit of research reveals that birds have a type of feather called a filoplume. All the pictures look identical to what Bernie has.
They act like cats whiskers - ie a strong sensory function - things like wind speed etc.
The only problem is they are supposed to be very short whereas Bernie's are very long.
I think I might post these on a thread to see if any BYC folk have experience.
Here is a diagram showing a filoplume feather.
Can everyone have a look and see if their chickens have them too?

View attachment 3340898
Very interesting! I'll try to take a look.

She's the biggest, she's the last to lay, and ....she lays a bantam sized egg! My partner is not happy 😁 ! I couldn't care less , I love the smaller eggs !
I wouldn't worry too much about egg size yet. Some, over the course of a few weeks, will start to lay significantly larger eggs. So, tell your partner he has to give her a month of laying before he judges her egg size! After all, the French don't judge Maran's egg color until it's 11th egg!

How do you quote an individual post on another thread? I’d like to link to an update on Lucky.
Hope I don't get SHRA for this. To link to the original post, on th upper right corner of each post is an icon that is 3 circles with 2 lines linking them to make 2 sides of a triangle (circles are vertexes). When you click on it, it says 'share this post' and it has the url below, you can copy & paste the url.

IF you don't want to link to the post, but do want the wording for reference, I just litterally copy & paste. Click at the beginning of what you want to copy & drag to the end, then hit 'ctrl' + 'c' to copy it. I'm sure, being an Admin. Asst.....you actually know this piece.

I learned this by accident recently when I wanted to link to previous post!! I was so stoked with myself for learning this -on my own. (I'm so non-techy, I really surprised myself! :lau )

Back
Top Bottom