A bit of research reveals that birds have a type of feather called a filoplume. All the pictures look identical to what Bernie has.
They act like cats whiskers - ie a strong sensory function - things like wind speed etc.
The only problem is they are supposed to be very short whereas Bernie's are very long.
I think I might post these on a thread to see if any BYC folk have experience.
Here is a diagram showing a filoplume feather.
Can everyone have a look and see if their chickens have them too?

View attachment 3340898
When Dorothy molted and had all these bald patches all that were left were those filoplumes ! Once she regrew her feathers they became more hidden again.

No restrictions and now we are owners! But I’m not set up for more than one rooster and currently I only have 8 hens. I wouldn’t want too many more with the current set up, as we’re only on 2/3 of an acre, the coop is only about 55 sq. ft. Including the sun room or 40 without, and the run is only 260 sq. ft. We have so many predators, they only get to free range when I’m available to supervise with the dog. It might be more of a someday-in-retirement when we can move somewhere less expensive thing. When we can have a larger acreage with livestock guardian dogs. So it may never happen. We’ll see.
You need a wee bantam sikie in that case 🥰

Wonder where Curly went? She was way up on that nestbox with Mr P earlier.,.
45523550-7A3E-4A81-9036-0208FA7B3392.png

Wow full moon…
2005A9B8-61B4-4511-9721-BC3A745BC285.png

This sign always makes me giggle, so close to the 60th parallel!
20610CBB-00C3-46DD-B78C-1B7C82DF15B7.jpeg

Good Monday Morning!

The morning count... where's Curly? Hmm only 11 - they are under the camera - must move this camera.
morning count.JPG

Oh there she is the little brat making me worry!
theres curly.JPG

And as I am watching, Mr P decided to start crowing - had to turn the volume down there is a new person in the well-site nextdoor teeheehee :gig

While snuggling with Branch this afternoon I realized I'm going to have to do something about one of his spurs soon. One of them is growing backwards and curving towards his leg. I've never had to trim spurs before, but I'm hoping with just a little bit of help me and mom can take care of it with our dremel. If he cooperates, the plan is for me to hold him and mom take just a little bit off. We will probably have to repeat the process weekly for awhile. I do not want to do it myself incase he freaks out so I do not hurt him. Mom is the reluctant party. She thinks he is going to freak out and I'm going to let him go to attack her.
Why not use the rough side of a disposable nail file (emery board)? That way it would be quiet, you could start with a few very slow gentle swipes with no pressure before slowly increasing the rub, so he can get used to it. That’s what I did with Hazel and her broken beak tip, she completely calmed down and relaxed, whereas like any self respecting chicken she didn’t want her beak touched at first. I did only a tiny bit each session.

Introducing our new girls

We’ve just been to the zoo and purchased three (hopefully) pullets (not sure how old; ‘a couple of months’ is the best I could get). They are:

Angel (named and chosen by my son)
D3801FD4-54DF-42D4-AE0E-BE171A1C1F38.jpeg

Bella (left) and Gizelle (right)
4FAB0BAB-3F58-4834-8C11-6DC5B43DEFF7.jpeg

They’re a barnyard mix, which is what I wanted. I think Bella is the one making baby-peeps, she could be about 16-18 weeks old. She’s tiny and has some Frizzle in her.
Beautiful, Lozzy!

It is mugshot Monday and here is Diana nibbling at left over potato roll in my hand. Look at her spikey hair-do with new feathers coming in on her head.
She is such a sweet little hen. I like to see that she is eating. She is always so dainty though truth to tell she is really a bit of a piglet. ❤️

5D076CAC-AC3F-47F4-96FE-AB8E4B98DE65.jpeg
B3B135BA-6CED-4AA9-9E43-F9EA309912D6.jpeg

Then this happened!

Bernadette stepped in to show her how it is done - there is nothing dainty about Big-Bernie!
4ABA5DB8-963D-4C22-89BB-E7103CB78D8C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom