There could be something in the coop, mites, etc. that are making it uncomfortable for them to roost there. Maybe the coop needs a deep clean.
@Lexicon This was my first thought too. Second thought was that maybe ice or branches falling on the roof could be scary. Anything overhead?

Monday Mugs from a lady feeling a bit down:

Really, mum? I'm not up for a photo shoot
IMG_2256[1].JPG

Well, if you must..
IMG_2260[1].JPG

Which is my better side??
IMG_2258[1].JPG

Why not use the rough side of a disposable nail file (emery board)? That way it would be quiet, you could start with a few very slow gentle swipes with no pressure before slowly increasing the rub, so he can get used to it. That’s what I did with Hazel and her broken beak tip, she completely calmed down and relaxed, whereas like any self respecting chicken she didn’t want her beak touched at first. I did only a tiny bit each session.
A disposable nail file might be a better option. I will try that this afternoon after my eye dr appointment. I can do the nail file option by myself which will probably be less stressful on Branch.

The heating isn't working where I am staying right now but I did find a hot water bottle. I have to say it felt wonderful on my back. It even has its own little fluffy jacket so I didn't have to wrap it in a towel to prevent it from scalding me.
Altogether a woderful find!
I love my hot water bottle, you can't beat them.

As for my girls, I've bought two dehumidifiers that can be recharged, i don't think they work as dehumidifiers but they heat up beautifully, so I drop them in a padded envelope then put them in the coop last thing. I covered their door with a sheet which really holds off the frost for my littles, those dehumidifiers are a life saver for them

I would watch in real time. It could be a cat. You have those up where you are right?
This is a good idea. A weasel / stoat would have killed everyone. So something that isn’t immediately interested in that but is a stranger and makes them all nervous. A cat might be mostly interested in feed if it is available, a chicken if it is starving.

Back
Top Bottom