Animated GIF
Thanks Bob - that's super cute :)

A bit of research reveals that birds have a type of feather called a filoplume. All the pictures look identical to what Bernie has.
They act like cats whiskers - ie a strong sensory function - things like wind speed etc.
The only problem is they are supposed to be very short whereas Bernie's are very long.
I think I might post these on a thread to see if any BYC folk have experience.
Here is a diagram showing a filoplume feather.
Can everyone have a look and see if their chickens have them too?

View attachment 3340898
Letter a looks just like your Bernie! What about the base of it, this is very interesting. Yes I thought they are supposed to be very short.
Will check the ladies for these, but I had my face in everyone's backside a couple of days ago looking for any mites resurgence and didn't notice anything like this. But I was focused on their skin... I don't think I've even seen a filoplume on them though they've got to be there.

It is mugshot Monday and here is Diana nibbling at left over potato roll in my hand. Look at her spikey hair-do with new feathers coming in on her head.
She is such a sweet little hen. I like to see that she is eating. She is always so dainty though truth to tell she is really a bit of a piglet. ❤️

View attachment 3341304View attachment 3341305

Then this happened!

Bernadette stepped in to show her how it is done - there is nothing dainty about Big-Bernie!
View attachment 3341306

OMG she’s like a shark leaping out of the water! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom