@Ponypoor
Peanut and Hazel here, on behalf of Butters and Popcorn and the human too.
We wish you a very Happy Birthday!!!
View attachment 3341746
And Many Happy Returns of the Day!!!
Awww! why thank you ladies! You are both looking very well, I hope this cold weather isn't getting to you. If so let your Human know to bring you inside her kitchen for an evening visit :)

Come on over here. Jaffar is throwing a party 🎉 for PonyPoor. Humans get ham and split pea soup, with Italian bread 🥖 5B64395C-FEF0-4538-BF07-5F15C217104D.jpeg

Yes. I have now read a lot about them. All birds have them and unlike other feathers they have a rich nerve supply and so are believed to play a role in sensing external stuff - including the state of feathers. Normally they are all over the bird and are normally quite short.
I think Bernadette is unusual in having such long ones but I haven't noticed it having any ill effect.
I tried to see if I can these kind of feathers on my chickens. Nope. I think you are correct they they all have them, but not noticeable because usually they are the same length as other fluffs.

Yes. I have now read a lot about them. All birds have them and unlike other feathers they have a rich nerve supply and so are believed to play a role in sensing external stuff - including the state of feathers. Normally they are all over the bird and are normally quite short.

OMG, yes, I found some!!!! Sorry, no pics, but one of my Buff Orpingtons is almost finished molting. (all the feathers are in, but they aren't full length yet - but longer than @ChicoryBlue 's 'paint brush')...and low & behold, there were her filoplumes sticking out a bit beyond her unfinished fluff!!!:eek::eek::woot So cool - thank you for making me look/pay attention. It is cool to know what they are:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom