Aurora says roosting is a privilege, not a right!
There's a competitiveness I see throughout the pecking order, but Hazel seems to take it to another level too. She pursues and pushes off Popcorn if there's any food or treats involved, even if there are multiple spots of the same thing around and plenty for everyone. All the chickens like to forage around and change it up, but as you say this goes beyond that. She looks over, sees Popcorn enjoying something, and immediately must put a stop to it and take over. She'll go across the run to do it.
My gang has no real drama like that. They pretty much just get along, it's really just in the morning breakfast rush that they assert their different authorities. And there is no straight line of authority really, for instance, Curly out ranks Buttercup; yet Buttercup will go and chase Marty away. But Marty has it in for Curly so she will go after her.

No one bothers Blanche, Penelope or Sophia, or Mr P.

I will tell you what is happening with my roosters and maybe it will help you to keep your resolution.
I was getting so stressed by stopping Théo from jumping on Gaston's roost in the evenings that four days ago I completely moved Théo's roosts on the other side of the coop, closer to his hens, in a spot where he can't attack Gaston. The first two evenings were horrible, he kept looking for his old roost and running around stressed out. But the two evenings after were wonderfully quiet.
But today, Théo did something he has never done before. He has always used to chase Gaston out of the chicken netted yard, but he left him alone once he was over on the other side of the netting. Today he chased him outside and in the garden at least five times.

I can't help wonder if this isn't a consequence of interfering by removing his roost, and if I haven't made the situation worse.
Has Aurora actually ever wounded any of your hens or is it just bullying ?

Excellent. This was just what I needed : a good laugh about this whole chicken drama.
Aurora has never actually hurt anyone although she did fight Hattie for number 2 in the tribe while Lilly was still here. In that instance it was Aurora that got hurt not Hattie.

Aurora says roosting is a privilege, not a right!
There's a competitiveness I see throughout the pecking order, but Hazel seems to take it to another level too. She pursues and pushes off Popcorn if there's any food or treats involved, even if there are multiple spots of the same thing around and plenty for everyone. All the chickens like to forage around and change it up, but as you say this goes beyond that. She looks over, sees Popcorn enjoying something, and immediately must put a stop to it and take over. She'll go across the run to do it.
Aurora does that to Hattie. It's so bad Hattie no longer travels with the rest of the tribe to the treats. I now feed her treats separately. 😕

I do not even want to know what Aurora thinks of some of the names I've used. I've got a Butter currently. In the past there was Drumstick, Creamy, Bread. I think if I met her she would flog me for my choice of names.
Absolutely would happen. 😆

Poor Buffy laid a MONSTER egg yesterday, almost 100 grams! She lays a really big one about once a month, they are always double yolk, but this is her largest yet. Picture is next to another of her “normal” eggs (which are almost always larger than everyone else) for comparison. Looks like it had a slight body check on it too, like maybe she was having second thoughts about an egg this large. Makes me so worried that she will get egg bound some day.

View attachment 3343360
That is pretty huge! :eek:

Safe at home now. I have been looking in but haven’t posted anything lately. Nothing but cloud cover and no visibility to speak of. I did land VFR (just before dark luckily) and all the chooks are doing well. Dakota is covered in mud and I don’t know why. It’s too cold to give her a washing.
Anyways…. :frow

Safe at home now. I have been looking in but haven’t posted anything lately. Nothing but cloud cover and no visibility to speak of. I did land VFR (just before dark luckily) and all the chooks are doing well. Dakota is covered in mud and I don’t know why. It’s too cold to give her a washing.
Anyways…. :frow
Glad you are home safe.

Back
Top Bottom