Listen chicks raised by her would already be leaps and bounds higher up in the pecking order simply because who their momma is. I see this with my Momma Hens group. Momma is no longer head hen. I would say she is still #2 though. If she got her mind off being broody all the time she would be back to #1 in a instant. Her chicks are born with special privilege's. No one is allowed to touch them, except Branch after a few days of begging Momma. At a week old this current group were already terrorizing the big girls. They learned their momma whips the hens butts if they look in their direction. What do they do...why they will run up to a unsuspecting hen, let out a squeak and here comes a angry momma. If they want the prime dust bathing spot to themselves, they run as a group to it so Momma will follow to run off the big girls who are dust bathing. When she is done with them, they know how to fight to get what they want. Karen is a prime example of this. When Momma was done rearing her she was already well established in the pecking order. If she wanted something she took it, if the older girls tried to put her in her place, she fought back and normally won. Karen is also not genetically related to momma at all, she just was blessed with her as her mother.
Maybe I shouldn't give Aurora eggs if she goes broody. Poor Hattie. Can you imagine the indignity of being forced to give up your dust bath to chicks!

They are very beautiful chickens @RoyalChick Some of the prettiest I've seen.

@bgmathteach raises a beautiful chicken.
Thank you, you are too kind. They hatched in an amazing variety of colors and patterns given all had the same dad, and there were only a couple of different moms! Quite the assortment of colors/patterns with the broody hatched!

@rural mouse mentioned there are just 2 color genes (red and black, I think) Amazing how just 2 colors genes can produce such variety in colors on the feathers!

Happy Friday to all of you !
I'm hoping to hear some better news from @featherhead007 and @ValarieF health wise 🤞, and I would also be relieved to hear from @Marie2020 . Her last message didn't sound so good so like you I hope it's just internet or smaller life issues.

Thank you for the answers about muff, beards and black chickens. I didn't think of silkies ! I think both EE, ameraucanas and silkies are beginning to be trendy here- the colored eggs are just beginning to be a thing. But most people are too used to tan / beige eggs and they won't want to eat other color. That's one of the reason why we have few production leghorns - white eggs don't sell.

Anyway here are some butts for Friday.

Theo's Crowing butt next to Brune's butt
IMG_20230127_140041.jpg

Chipie's sweet butt. Poor thing has it tough these days as she gets chased even by Théo and her butt feathers are already deteriorated from all the pulling and pecking.
IMG_20230127_133043.jpg

These butts may look similar but Piou-piou will do all it takes to kick Léa's butt out of her life.
IMG_20230127_135648.jpg

Tough guy's butt.
IMG_20230127_135822.jpg

Ex-batt fluffy but poopy butt from Nougat.

IMG_20230127_135856.jpg

And funny Gastounet's butt.
IMG_20230127_132518.jpg

And for your information, my "be kind to broody teenagers" strategy is not working. At all 🤣.
IMG_20230127_143221.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_133229.jpg
    IMG_20230127_133229.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 1
Happy Friday to all of you !
I'm hoping to hear some better news from @featherhead007 and @ValarieF health wise 🤞, and I would also be relieved to hear from @Marie2020 . Her last message didn't sound so good so like you I hope it's just internet or smaller life issues.

Thank you for the answers about muff, beards and black chickens. I didn't think of silkies ! I think both EE, ameraucanas and silkies are beginning to be trendy here- the colored eggs are just beginning to be a thing. But most people are too used to tan / beige eggs and they won't want to eat other color. That's one of the reason why we have few production leghorns - white eggs don't sell.

Anyway here are some butts for Friday.

Theo's Crowing butt next to Brune's butt
View attachment 3387800
Chipie's sweet butt. Poor thing has it tough these days as she gets chased even by Théo and her butt feathers are already deteriorated from all the pulling and pecking.
View attachment 3387802
These butts may look similar but Piou-piou will do all it takes to kick Léa's butt out of her life.
View attachment 3387803
Tough guy's butt.
View attachment 3387804
Ex-batt fluffy but poopy butt from Nougat.

View attachment 3387805
And funny Gastounet's butt.
View attachment 3387812
And for your information, my "be kind to broody teenagers" strategy is not working. At all 🤣.
View attachment 3387813
Well you do live in France the birth place of the Marans. You do not know how lucky you are, some of the best Marans and hatching eggs are within your grasp. Without the high export cost at that.

Back
Top Bottom