This is what is so confusing with covid and frankly Rosie. I do not care how sick she gets she never, ever runs a fever. And until she woke up I truly thought this was just a common winter cold.
I'm sorry I forgot Rosie in my getting better wishes, especially as when I read she had COVID I thought that she really hasn't had luck this year with her health, between her accident and the viruses she caught.
Well you do live in France the birth place of the Marans. You do not know how lucky you are, some of the best Marans and hatching eggs are within your grasp. Without the high export cost at that.
Oh, for your broody teenager. If she were mine, and I lived in France I would have a dozen Marans eggs under her in a heartbeat.
It's not that easy to find good Marans here because many hens sold as Marans are actually hybrids. You would need to find a serious breeder, I wouldn't know how, apart from one affiliated to the Marans Club de France, and there are none in my region.

And, I know I'm a traitor to the chicken math cause, but I don't want more chickens. I'm fine with ten. However, I don't think my ex-batts will all make it to the summer so I will probably do a small hatch in spring. I'm partial to getting local backyard mutts, because I'm pretty sure they will be predator savy and adapted to our environment. If I end up deciding to try get some eggs from a breeder I would get either brown leghorns or, yes, Marans.
If I drive to Italy to "smuggle" hens (which I'm not sure is really smuggling as everyone here do it all the time), it won't be leghorns- they have so many interesting local breeds that don't make it outside the frontier. Like the “Mugellese” (or “Mugginese" ) that @Perris made me discover because she wondered if Chipie could be one.

I have to wait until afternoon for the transport to the hospital appointment. I’m anxious about that. But I have my birds to keep me company
Update: I brought my emotional support rooster inside with me. Good call too. He’s great at solving anxiety issues

Everyone should have an emotional support rooster! 47A3F3B2-1FA5-412C-9051-FFCB082E701B.jpeg

I'm sorry I forgot Rosie in my getting better wishes, especially as when I read she had COVID I thought that she really hasn't had luck this year with her health, between her accident and the viruses she caught.

It's not that easy to find good Marans here because many hens sold as Marans are actually hybrids. You would need to find a serious breeder, I wouldn't know how, apart from one affiliated to the Marans Club de France, and there are none in my region.

And, I know I'm a traitor to the chicken math cause, but I don't want more chickens. I'm fine with ten. However, I don't think my ex-batts will all make it to the summer so I will probably do a small hatch in spring. I'm partial to getting local backyard mutts, because I'm pretty sure they will be predator savy and adapted to our environment. If I end up deciding to try get some eggs from a breeder I would get either brown leghorns or, yes, Marans.
If I drive to Italy to "smuggle" hens (which I'm not sure is really smuggling as everyone here do it all the time), it won't be leghorns- they have so many interesting local breeds that don't make it outside the frontier. Like the “Mugellese” (or “Mugginese" ) that @Perris made me discover because she wondered if Chipie could be one.
Oh yes that Mugellese sure does look like Chipie!

Back
Top Bottom