Thanks both for the ideas.
Here is what I am thinking.
I will go out now and close the door and keep it closed all day - they can come and go at will through the chicken door and get used to the people door being closed.
Then after roosting, assuming one or both of the Math Majors are up in the rafters, I will unlatch the door but keep it pushed closed.
That way it looks closed, but if one of them slams into it the door will just push open and they shouldn't be harmed.
With luck they will figure a better way down without slamming into the door.
If that doesn't work, plan B involves drapes!
Great plan. You've set up at least two more good episodes on "Adventures at the Chicken Palace" (somebody comes up with a better name)

@RoyalChick in this picture....
AB369A69-9FD4-4EAA-A52B-EB3914C834F5.jpeg

Babs is getting quite red in the face/wattles/comb. (such petite wattles the DC has - she definitely has her mum's face!)

Laying shouldn't be too far off! :celebrate
I wonder if she will lay before Bernadette does.
I have ceramic eggs in the nest boxes but nobody ever goes in there even to have a look.

Happy Friday to all of you !
I'm hoping to hear some better news from @featherhead007 and @ValarieF health wise 🤞, and I would also be relieved to hear from @Marie2020 . Her last message didn't sound so good so like you I hope it's just internet or smaller life issues.

Thank you for the answers about muff, beards and black chickens. I didn't think of silkies ! I think both EE, ameraucanas and silkies are beginning to be trendy here- the colored eggs are just beginning to be a thing. But most people are too used to tan / beige eggs and they won't want to eat other color. That's one of the reason why we have few production leghorns - white eggs don't sell.

Anyway here are some butts for Friday.

Theo's Crowing butt next to Brune's butt
View attachment 3387800
Chipie's sweet butt. Poor thing has it tough these days as she gets chased even by Théo and her butt feathers are already deteriorated from all the pulling and pecking.
View attachment 3387802
These butts may look similar but Piou-piou will do all it takes to kick Léa's butt out of her life.
View attachment 3387803
Tough guy's butt.
View attachment 3387804
Ex-batt fluffy but poopy butt from Nougat.

View attachment 3387805
And funny Gastounet's butt.
View attachment 3387812
And for your information, my "be kind to broody teenagers" strategy is not working. At all 🤣.
View attachment 3387813
Very nice assortment. The last picture is stunning.

Is it feather fluff on the right of Chipie?
View attachment 3387802

Chiquita is confused how 1 egg turned into 6 chicks but bless her heart she is trying. She is not trying to kill them, lets them all under her and has started after a hour talking to them. I started breathing when I heard her start talking. I think by morning she will have fully accepted them as her and will be fully out of sitting mode and into mommy mode.
DSCN9917.JPG
DSCN9918.JPG
DSCN9921.JPG
DSCN9923.JPG
DSCN9924.JPG

I will admit to not leaving them alone for more then 20 minutes at a time since I gave them to her. If it goes bad I'm ready to pull and brood them myself.

Back
Top Bottom