Yes!
Here is Babs coming down.

Also, both Babs and Eli (but not Bernadette) have started tasting the crushed egg shells. Maybe they are gearing up to start laying.
Yes, they both look like they are coming into lay with the redness of their combs!🥚🥚🥚

Wow:eek: While it was a fine landing, talk about cutting it close!!! :eek:

Poor Bernie: What the heck - could that 'fly-by' have gotten any closer?? The draft almost pulled me off the perch!
animation art GIF by Will Kim

House Chickens
@Shadrach will appreciate this. So it begins. Phyllis has been trying to get in for days. She scooted in, ran Enzo off and it was an open door for everyone. It was beautiful enough today to leave the door open for a bit and thus.......

I see you got a replacement box of mealy worms there....any way to give Mrs By Bob a daily limit????

Yes, they both look like they are coming into lay with the redness of their combs!🥚🥚🥚

Wow:eek: While it was a fine landing, talk about cutting it close!!! :eek:

Poor Bernie: What the heck - could that 'fly-by' have gotten any closer?? The draft almost pulled me off the perch!
animation art GIF by Will Kim
More like this: 319C9F76-3DC5-4794-901A-D07ACA1CBC3D.png

You heard her invite them in. They will be all through the house. Only the uneasiness over Enzo was holding Phyllis at bay. She will be in multiple times a day now.
Watch out, Phyllis might get addicted to the soaps on TV (or...maybe 'Project Runway' :lau :lau :lau )

Hmmmm...time for a couch roost, me thinks!

I went out and spent some time with them in the coop. I thought maybe if I took Chiquita out of the tote it would snap her out of the sitting mode. Nope she is not ready just yet. If I want to see her let them out from under her, I have to be silent and perfectly still. If I move or speak to them, she calls and they come running under her. Do you know how hard that was? They are curious and at one point I had 2 on top of my boot. I barely shifted my weight and she called them back to her. This is good though, I'm guessing they are around 4 days old going by wing feathers and they need to learn her calls. I was ready to brood them yesterday afternoon if she rejected them. In a way I'm torn. I love brooding chicks, hand raising them you can develop a deeper bond, especially when they are this curious. I'm also deeply relieved I do not have to. It is not just less work on me. Broody raised babies are so much smarter and just know how to chicken better. These little ones have no idea how lucky they are they have a real momma and not me. I have to be patient, I will get my chance to become friends with them. Of course, that is harder said then done.
First up the pictures.
View attachment 3389116View attachment 3389117View attachment 3389119View attachment 3389120View attachment 3389121View attachment 3389123View attachment 3389125View attachment 3389126View attachment 3389127
I spoke to them, bad me.
View attachment 3389128View attachment 3389129View attachment 3389130View attachment 3389131
She looks like a proud momma!

Well, in the next month or so mom has a new project. She just informed me and dad she wants us to build onto the connection of Russ and Louis stall. She has decided that will be a good area for another coop. Why is she doing this you may wonder. Well I now do not have to make the difficult decisions of which 2 of the October girls to keep, they are staying as are all 6 leghorns. Mom has decided our laying hens are the most valuable things we own. Coughs....sorry dirt...coughs. It is nice to know I am not the only victim of chicken math. She also claimed that if Chiquita had been bigger, she would have left the store with all 10 leghorns instead of the 6. I tried to pay her for the 6 chicks, she is not having it, those are her hens. She just needs MY hen to raise them. I have to chuckle, over a year ago she was slightly upset with both me and my farrier. He alerted me to the listing of Chiquita, and I snuck off and got her. I was crazy for going 2 hours and paying 15 for the scruffy orange rat. Who is crazy now I ask.
Hahaha

Well I drove almost 3 hrs one way to get Marty, and likely cost me $100 in fuel to drive my truck 😳

Now that’s a pricy hen!

So hey - who am I to say anything 😆

Does anyone know how to stop the chooks from digging up the yard? What a disaster area they made of the grass. :he
I don’t want to keep them locked up.
Grass is highly overrated, put in sand and rocks and make a desert garden with succulents! Places for chickens to dig and fluff around!

Back
Top Bottom