I love this rule!!! I have not had any trouble with my Leghorns (and Leghorn mixes), either. In fact, Margo was one of the cuddliest hens I ever had. Having said that, I will note that they have been some of the quickest and most alert hens I’ve had. I consider that an asset to the tribe! And all three let me cuddle them. (Dorothy the least, since she was raised by Cashew, but she was still was easily handled and very friendly). Lghorns are super smart, friendly, and inquisitive, too!

Exhibit A (Dorothy)
View attachment 3390372

Exhibit B (Flash, so named because she was quick as a flash as a chick… still is!)
View attachment 3390373

Exhibit C (Margo)
View attachment 3390374
Can I just say that I love their wattles and comb - so extravagant and wonderful - They have got to have the most amazing combs of all chickens.

I’m here with Jaffar and Hen-Rietta tonight. All this Leghorn talk made me want to have her in with us. She sure doesn’t seem to mind being in. F7B38D04-70EA-4436-8E34-979E6E5CE165.jpeg
She’s a Brown Leghorn :D

Well flighty is not bad for me. Momma hen is flighty, and wicked smart. In a free range setting being flighty will mean they are more able to escape a predator. When the avian flu broke out this spring and we were hearing of authorities coming and putting down entire flocks. I made the comment to mom if they showed up for me not to fight them they would have to catch Momma Hen without the use of a net. Trust me, my flock would have been safe.
:goodpost: "Flighty" around here is good too. Agile, alert, fly well, escape artists (good predator evasion), wary, sneaky (hidden nests, especially if even the magpies can't get to them). Personally, the only negative thing i have to say about leghorns is their eggs are too big. For the size of their bodies, the eggs are massive and breeders have done them a serious disservice in going that route. They aren't the only breed caught in that either.

No anger or malice towards anyone but I'm not discussing this. If you read descriptions elsewhere it is not a compliment towards the chicken. It is used in a derogatory fashion. I don't ask much here.

Be nice to everyone.

Keep it on chickens or pay tax.

Now I'm adding don't call leghorns flighty.

I don't think I'm asking a lot. You can still comment on leghorn characteristics. You can even say bad things about them if you want. Just be specific. Don't be lazy and call them "flighty".
Leghorns were not on "My" personal want list, they are mom's idea. If I had to choose a brand new breed for me it would have been the cute little D'uccles. Now that I have them I will not complain. I like smart chickens. I hope to be able to train them a few tricks. I would love one that would fly up on my arm on command.

Back
Top Bottom