Hello FBA ! Having another very warm and beautiful Friday here, and the chickens are really enjoying the sun as they were locked up yesterday for the bigger part of the day. And so I am- dozing in my lounge chair instead of spreading manure on the garden 🙂.

@TX Chick Noob I hope the power situation won't last throughout the week end. You don't need that on top of pain!

@Ponypoor if your priority really is autosexable chicks, and you don't want sex links, I think that should pretty much shorten your wish list. I hope you manage to keep up that incredible newfoundland spirit of yours looking for chicks breeds, it must not be easy being so far from home and still several weeks to spend on your project, and missing your lovely Sally.

I haven't forgotten Chaco Alex. I think often of her, I have told her story to my partner and my neighbors about why I changed my mind and won't get ponies. (No proper vet care here).

@knoturavggrl I'm thinking of you and waiting for your update 💚. How are you feeling today?

Here are three butts for all the talking.
Léa's broody butt
IMG_20230203_100706~2.jpg

Gaston's funny butt. I can't help it even his butt makes me laugh.
IMG_20230203_122342.jpg

And Merle doing her best to pretend she has some fluff.
IMG_20230203_122442.jpg

How is the weather looking? @RoyalChick
It is so weird. It has been mainly above freezing and dipping into the high 20sF at night.
Today is similar but very windy.
Then after noon today the temperatures start dropping down to 0F. They revised the -4F up to 0F.
It will stay low for about 12 hours and then back to hovering just above freezing.
It is a crazy plummet.
I am worried about the chickens but also the house will get cold as it doesn’t respond that fast.
My plan is to feed the chickens hot mash mid afternoon and then put an oil filled heater in the servan’s quarters where they can’t tip it over.
Then before I go to bed I will move the oil filled heater out into the coop where it will be nearer Bernie and the heat will rise up to the rafters.
Then I will keep my fingers crossed.
I will move the heater back to the servant’s quarters before the Princesses wake up.
Wish us all luck!

Oooh! I have never seen one the color of the first picture. Very pretty. I have purple like your second picture, and white.
Chickens and other birds eat the seeds which may partially explain Bob’s lack of seedlings. His could be reseeding several blocks away.
And now that you say this. The chickens are probably digging the others up before they can get started!

It is so weird. It has been mainly above freezing and dipping into the high 20sF at night.
Today is similar but very windy.
Then after noon today the temperatures start dropping down to 0F. They revised the -4F up to 0F.
It will stay low for about 12 hours and then back to hovering just above freezing.
It is a crazy plummet.
I am worried about the chickens but also the house will get cold as it doesn’t respond that fast.
My plan is to feed the chickens hot mash mid afternoon and then put an oil filled heater in the servan’s quarters where they can’t tip it over.
Then before I go to bed I will move the oil filled heater out into the coop where it will be nearer Bernie and the heat will rise up to the rafters.
Then I will keep my fingers crossed.
I will move the heater back to the servant’s quarters before the Princesses wake up.
Wish us all luck!
Over heat your house today. Move your thematic thermostat up to 75 or something similar
That way you have banked some great and the furnace can keep up tonight as it bleeds off. You don't need another frozen pipe.

Thought I posted this earlier but I guess not…

OMG, I was hoping not to have to hit the button on my pump so it would last longer, but the strong block they did for surgery wore off during the night last time and I ended up hitting it three times. My foot/ankle felt like it was on fire and really hurt. I can take the Norco more often and stronger, but if I do much more I will never poop again. And we lost power at 8 last night. Running on generator still, there is no estimate yet of when will be restored. Their outage map shows hundreds of outages all over central Texas. They will probably repair the ones affecting the most people first, and ours is only 72 people.
You need to call and tell them you have a medical necessity. They also get priority during power restorations.

Back
Top Bottom