I would if I could even get through to someone. They claimed our grid was improved, but obviously not and they are totally overwhelmed. Here are current numbers for our provider (who is one of several in Texas so there are more people with issues than this):

View attachment 3394407
So sorry to hear you still have no power. An I correct in assuming you have snow on the ground? I am not always sure going by the News.

If so they am I correct in assuming that your crews are not used to working in such weather, and don't have cold/extreme weather equipment or work gear. It can be extremely hazardous to work on power lines without correct gear for the weather.

For instance back home right now, it is -23C and high winds and heavy snowfall (thanks to lake effect snow), but we have equipment and gear for this sort of thing. I would bet if you had that sort of thing it would not be good for your workers.

My only advice would be to make sure you are warm. Not sure if your Husband got your genny back up and running - hope so!

OMG, yes. I am so sorry @BY Bob . Gucci

:barnie What a terrible mistake!:(
I am terrible with names, so if I am calling someone by the wrong name please let me know - I get all my animals names all mixed up - it's a wonder they even know they have names!

Right Curly?
IMG_0527.JPG

(he looks unimpressed by that hahaha)

Both battle it out. I could get up to go but oh what a production it was, especially early on before you somewhat get used to moving around on one leg.

I am well. My daughter (6yrs) took it better then expected, Powder was her favorite. She said she was glad we got chickens, I said are you sure since it can be sad sometimes. She paused and thought, her reply was yes I am sure, we had lots of good times too. So proud of her.

I am okay, I’ll feel guilty forever most likely but we are fixing it as I type this. Still no sign of her at all. I am pretty certain at this point something took her, probably an bird of prey.
Others have already said this, your daughter is wise beyond her years. We can all learn this from her.

It is so weird. It has been mainly above freezing and dipping into the high 20sF at night.
Today is similar but very windy.
Then after noon today the temperatures start dropping down to 0F. They revised the -4F up to 0F.
It will stay low for about 12 hours and then back to hovering just above freezing.
It is a crazy plummet.
I am worried about the chickens but also the house will get cold as it doesn’t respond that fast.
My plan is to feed the chickens hot mash mid afternoon and then put an oil filled heater in the servan’s quarters where they can’t tip it over.
Then before I go to bed I will move the oil filled heater out into the coop where it will be nearer Bernie and the heat will rise up to the rafters.
Then I will keep my fingers crossed.
I will move the heater back to the servant’s quarters before the Princesses wake up.
Wish us all luck!
Sounds like a solid plan to me.

I have mum putting the Cozy Coop heater on in the Hen House tonight. Should help a bit, it's fairly good in there with all of them, so not too worried. But I still worry.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

I have mum putting the Cozy Coop heater on in the Hen House tonight. Should help a bit, it's fairly good in there with all of them, so not too worried. But I still worry.
The plummet has started. Even in the house I can notice it and the wind is scary. The crazy chickens are still out in the run but I am starting to implement the plan.
Thermostats in the house going up. Mash soaking. Heater ready to turn on.
I even remembered the sink in the garage that I got a little warmer under and my cold sensitive plants in pots are coming into the mud room which is down to 42 degrees.
I also need to put socks on - even after just going into the garage without socks I have chilled feet!

I also need to put socks on - even after just going into the garage without socks Ihave chilled feet!
Really, RC?? You knew it was nippy...and no socks ????:lau :rolleyes::lau
The plummet has started. Even in the house I can notice it and the wind is scary. The crazy chickens are still out in the run but I am starting to implement the plan.
My chickens were out & about in the protected part of the run earlier. However, when I popped out at lunch to give then LIQUID water, they were mostly in very protected corners or holed up in the coops. I had put out 'warming stations' in a couple very protected areas (5 gal. 'hot water bottle') with extra bag of dry leaves in those spots to keep them busy & tootsies warm...they seem to be popular...so I'm glad I did it!

Good thing it was a remote/work from home day!

Really, RC?? You knew it was nippy...and no socks ????:lau :rolleyes::lau

My chickens were out & about in the protected part of the run earlier. However, when I popped out at lunch to give then LIQUID water, they were mostly in very protected corners or holed up in the coops. I had put out 'warming stations' in a couple very protected areas (5 gal. 'hot water bottle') with extra bag of dry leaves in those spots to keep them busy & tootsies warm...they seem to be popular...so I'm glad I did it!

Good thing it was a remote/work from home day!
I think mine have a screw loose. They have lots of sheltered spots but they are out digging in the least protected area.
They ate quite fluffed up but not looking miserable at all. They are running around and doing thei chicken business with gusto.
Yeah. I know. Socks.

Back
Top Bottom