My brothers girlfriend and her grandmother love to go to goodwill. Today they found this and thought it would be perfect for me.
View attachment 3397073
If he does not marry this girl, I'm disowning him.
Hahaha - yup tell him! I tried on a snazzy pair of muckers at Peavey Mart today they had hens a chicks on the right foot and a lovely Roo on the left but alas they were too big for me 😟

And the “Water chickens” have a whole different tail language too! Turns out Muscovy females can be quite aggressive to each other, and it is spring time-ish so… I had to look this up when Ghost was attempting to mount Sassy and Casper was chasing Fancy and trying to rip out her tail feathers… the Drakes don’t seem to care at all. But Dean and Sammy took exception to this. Yes, my Roosters also now have the duty of breaking up duck fights. It was interesting the first time Dean went to break it up he started stopped confused “not chickens?” Then started up again “no fighting”, looks over at me for reassurance. “Good boy Dean, you tell them!” And he breaks it up. I swear I do t think I could keep all the chickens I do if it wasn’t for my exceptional Rooster Team! View attachment 3397110View attachment 3397113View attachment 3397120
That’s big eagle 🦅 I saw one here a few weeks ago! Awesome creatures, have one hanging out back home also.

Run update:
Critical updates are completed. When my husband comes home from his next trip he will finish more improvements but the problem area is at least dealt with completely.

Today I let them out while supervised, no pictures today because I wanted watch them closely. Their behavior is quite different right now. They follow Oreo quite closely and he calls for them to follow as he moves around the yard, this didn’t happen much before. Oreo is still aggressive with me and my husband but not with my kids thankfully. Today he was challenging my husband a lot and I think it’s because he doesn’t typically spend a great deal of time around them as it mainly my hobby. He made a few half hearted runs a me but stopped short of attacking me. The girls seem to be paying more attention to their surroundings in general.

If anyone has any advice on how to proceed with Oreo I’d be grateful. Space, time, and treats is my current tactic. If there is anything else I could be doing I am all ears. I don’t want this to become the norm if at all possible and I really do like him as do my girls.
I tried everything with Pangoo… he was a good kiddo when he was a baby I could pick him him give him treats etc… but he turned quite surly.

With Mr P I have not made a pet out of him, I leave him be, and he ignores me. I am happy with that - his job is to be on the outlook for predators.

Run update:
Critical updates are completed. When my husband comes home from his next trip he will finish more improvements but the problem area is at least dealt with completely.

Today I let them out while supervised, no pictures today because I wanted watch them closely. Their behavior is quite different right now. They follow Oreo quite closely and he calls for them to follow as he moves around the yard, this didn’t happen much before. Oreo is still aggressive with me and my husband but not with my kids thankfully. Today he was challenging my husband a lot and I think it’s because he doesn’t typically spend a great deal of time around them as it mainly my hobby. He made a few half hearted runs a me but stopped short of attacking me. The girls seem to be paying more attention to their surroundings in general.

If anyone has any advice on how to proceed with Oreo I’d be grateful. Space, time, and treats is my current tactic. If there is anything else I could be doing I am all ears. I don’t want this to become the norm if at all possible and I really do like him as do my girls.
He may be feeling like his girls are threatened and that he must be more protective of them, or he's going through the difficult stage. But he could also turn to have this type of personality, like my rooster Théo does.

On top of the good advice that has already been given, I would say to observe carefully if some situations seem to trigger him. With Théo, I found out that being very close to him in a space where he feels like he can't escape, or carrying a bowl full of feed for the chickens are clear trigger. So I avoid those situations when possible and when not, I talk slowly to him, telling him what I am doing, to try to calm him down.
If you want him to feel dominated, then the usual advice given is standing tall in front of him, talking loud, flapping your arms, or catching him and holding him to the ground.
I sometimes do those things if I think it's necessary, but I also do the exact opposite when Théo is looking like he's giving me a stinky eye, and go on my knee or sit down. This is supposed to show submission, but I think with a rooster that isn't really agressive or mean but just protective or feeling threatened, it shows that you are not a threat.

I think the general advice that applies to all spooked / acting up animals apply to roosters : act calm, move slowly, don't surprise them, watch where they are and don't let them surprise you.
And a good advice from @Shadrach : wear proper clothes. Gloves, long sleeves, real shoes. In winter it's usually the case anyway but in better weather it's a good habit to take.

I am miserable today. The pain isn’t too bad, usually only about a 2-3. But now that the nerve block is completely worn off I can feel the inside of my splint more, every little wrinkle or bump in the padding/bandages/etc. And I have some numb areas in my toes that make it feel like there is string wrapped around them. And I just can’t find a comfortable position. One thing or another aches no matter where I try to put my leg.

[/whining]

View attachment 3397123
I don’t like the sound of numb toes. Are you sure there isn’t anything constricting blood flow? Can you get someone to take a look?
:hugs

Mugs
20230201_144106.jpg
Lark and Pear

20230201_144007.jpg
Moulting Twirp (you should have done this in SEPTEMBER!!! oh, wait, living up to your name again)
20230201_143934.jpg
Cuckoo, also in the mid-winter moult group...

20230201_144054.jpg
And Thing, after her salon visit.

I don’t like the sound of numb toes. Are you sure there isn’t anything constricting blood flow? Can you get someone to take a look?
:hugs
The entire toe isn’t numb, just one side. They told me I may have some numbness due to swelling and after-effects from the injury and surgery and that it can take months to heal. My husband had the same issue after his foot surgery. What I am supposed to watch for is excess swelling/redness/discoloration or the toes being hot to the touch, or if I have difficulty moving them. So far all that seems ok. I have a post-op visit in the 15th.

Back
Top Bottom