I am thinking of experimenting with making some curtains for the nest boxes made out of strips of material.
I can’t find a picture but small convenience stores used to have them over the door to the back. You can just walk right through.
Sort of like this but I would make it myself.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/809520840/
I have a thought on this, @RoyalChick . You could go to a Thrift store and get an old pillow case, open it up, cut long 'flaps', and hem along the sides so it doesn't get 'unraveled' by 'curious' chickens. Or, alternately, but a sheet of fusible web, iron it onto the back of the opened up pillow case, and then cut strips (not all the way to the top...but most of the way). You could either staple like @Ponypoor , or use the top/decorative fold/binding to accept a curtain rod.

Last edited:
I have a thought on this, @RoyalChick . You could go to a Thrift store and get an old pillow case, open it up, cut long 'flaps', and hem along the sides so it doesn't get 'unraveled' by 'curious' chickens. Or, alternately, but a sheet of fusible web, iron it onto the back of the opened up pillow case, and the cut strips (not all the way to the top...but most of the way). You could either staple like @Ponypoor , use the top/decorative fold/binding to accept a curtain rod.
I am thinking along those lines. But because I never throw anything away it seems I have three sources of fabric I could try.
- an old deck chair
- one of those waxed table cloths
- the fabric from one of those pop up canopies that no longer pops up!
They are all in jolly colors so will look pretty cool. If they get accustomed to walking through the strips I might even make one to go over the pop door to reduce cold air coming in when it is really chilly outside.

Today is BP 189/99 yes higher. But how do I know that my BP cuff is still accurate? I’m doubting it’s usefulness
I am risking SHRA tax here but I think most pharmacies can check and or calibrate BP cuffs for accuracy. If one is nearby perhaps ring them and see if they can. In lieu of that many pharmacies have BP cuffs for public use. Take yours with you and you can compare the results. Bonus, if indeed yours is faulty your in the right place to get a new one. You do 100% need a accurate one you can trust.

Last edited:
Let the flock out and took some photos today.
Sugar, she is always down for treats
4DDB688E-467C-4D8F-A188-63639D91D6A9.jpeg

Snicker- ruffled combs are in this year right?
1B94506F-B8AC-413C-A028-5641BB057DB3.jpeg

Oreo, Peanut Butter, and Flour
39C8D1B4-8038-4C20-B5E5-92DFCF5C1398.jpeg

Cinnamon, Snicker, Flour, and Peanut Butter on a bug hunt
03C876AB-9632-4B3D-A841-A226E7AF422B.jpeg

Last edited:
I am thinking along those lines. But because I never throw anything away it seems I have three sources of fabric I could try.
- an old deck chair
- one of those waxed table cloths
- the fabric from one of those pop up canopies that no longer pops up!
They are all in jolly colors so will look pretty cool. If they get accustomed to walking through the strips I might even make one to go over the pop door to reduce cold air coming in when it is really chilly outside.
Either of the first two would be fine. imho, I wouldn't cut up the canopy tarp, as you may find you want to use it anyways (the canopy itself with tarp is still good for shade/shelter for chickens - especially if you lean one end of the framing on a stump or something else......and a bit of WD-40 might help the canopy to 'pop up', too. And, lastly, if the canopy framing is really toast, you can attach these to the corners (& one to the center) of the tarp and string it up, again, for shade and/or shelter.

Either of the first two would be fine. imho, I wouldn't cut up the canopy tarp, as you may find you want to use it anyways (the canopy itself with tarp is still good for shade/shelter for chickens - especially if you lean one end of the framing on a stump or something else......and a bit of WD-40 might help the canopy to 'pop up', too. And, lastly, if the canopy framing is really toast, you can attach these to the corners (& one to the center) of the tarp and string it up, again, for shade and/or shelter.
I will take a picture of the canopy frame - it is so totally toast - it was picked up by a freak wind gust (in spite of being weighted down) and broke pretty much every bone in its body!
I love those tarp snaps though and can definitely use those. I still have spare of that stuff - it had walls as well as a top and I have literally never used the walls because it gets hot and sweaty under there!
That said, I will try some of the other options first - they also have more weight which I think is better for the strip curtain idea.

Back
Top Bottom