Chiquita got her way again tonight. I think she needs to realize though that her marshmallows are growing up and do not really fit under her anymore. She joined them up on the roost for all of 30 seconds and then hopped down into the tote and called them to her. They really did not want to come down at first. I predict in a few days they will stay up. I'm ready myself to kick them out of the tote, I have to clean it out every 2 days the little poop machines. Look at their crops though, Chiquita does not take her kids to bed on a empty stomach.
DSCN0338.JPG

DSCN0335.JPG

:eek::sick

Oh ya hahaha gross - yuck! Yup my big fear - but having seen the size of the dratted rat just now in the barn I am sure any eggs not laid in the nest boxes is likely rat food - likely why this sucker is so huge!

I just cannot wait to get home and zap the beasties! I watch them on the barn cam and get so furious! My co-workers think I am nuts yelling at them on the barn cams hahaha!

I have 3 mice in the house my dog chased one of them. Im about to bring my rooster in to hunt.

Chiquita got her way again tonight. I think she needs to realize though that her marshmallows are growing up and do not really fit under her anymore. She joined them up on the roost for all of 30 seconds and then hopped down into the tote and called them to her. They really did not want to come down at first. I predict in a few days they will stay up. I'm ready myself to kick them out of the tote, I have to clean it out every 2 days the little poop machines. Look at their crops though, Chiquita does not take her kids to bed on a empty stomach.
View attachment 3421859
View attachment 3421862
She is such a good mommy. I cant wait until my silkies hatch.

WOW - they sure can fly! was that Chiquita bopping along the bottom of the video?

So does Momma Hen roost in the tree in the winter frosty weather also?
Yes that was Chiquita. During cold snaps in winter Momma will roost with the others. When she is not broody, she has a favorite tree. Spring through fall unless it is storming, she can be found in her tree. As soon as they are able, she starts calling her chicks up to join her in the tree. That is why I went ahead and placed her other 3 chicks when I did. She started trying to get them up. The little Roo managed to get up with her but left when his siblings did not join them. Every night now she goes up into the tree, tries to get Madea to follow but she will not cross the creek. Momma so far has ended up coming down and getting on the big roost with the rest of the flock and Madea joins her there. At some point, Momma is going to quit coming down out of the tree and Madea will be left alone on the roost.

View attachment 3421859
View attachment 3421862
OMG - trying to get under her!
:love :love :lau:gig:love

I have 3 mice in the house my dog chased one of them. Im about to bring my rooster in to hunt.
Buttercup will take out mice in the barn :)
Hope everyone is doing well. My chicks are getting big Ill have to get photos tomorrow for you. I have been tired and sick all week so my hubby and the dogs are taking care of me and the chickens. I havent been out to sit with the chooks and I miss them. I'll have to try tomorrow. Ive been so sick from ears and weakness and tired from all the meds. I started moderating a silkie fb page. well I actually start tomorrow.
View attachment 3421863
How did the candling of your eggs go? did you get to do them?
View attachment 3421859
View attachment 3421862
Oh My Gosh! so cute haha - love how that one was suck under her wing ❤️ and yes they sure don't fit under her anymore! too cute.

Yes that was Chiquita. During cold snaps in winter Momma will roost with the others. When she is not broody, she has a favorite tree. Spring through fall unless it is storming, she can be found in her tree. As soon as they are able, she starts calling her chicks up to join her in the tree. That is why I went ahead and placed her other 3 chicks when I did. She started trying to get them up. The little Roo managed to get up with her but left when his siblings did not join them. Every night now she goes up into the tree, tries to get Madea to follow but she will not cross the creek. Momma so far has ended up coming down and getting on the big roost with the rest of the flock and Madea joins her there. At some point, Momma is going to quit coming down out of the tree and Madea will be left alone on the roost.
Awwww - on the one hand I feel badly for Momma roosting all alone up there. But I am glad that in bad weather she will roost with the others.

OMG - trying to get under her!
:love :love :lau:gig:love
I know how cute is that! They are almost as big as she is !!

Back
Top Bottom