So, that means they aren't true silkies - more likely a silkie cross?
I thought the white one's 'feathers' looked different, not quite the same fuzzball as the other. It looked like they has some longer, 'silken threads', which I thought odd for a just hatched baby. Thoughts on that?

(P.S. @ValarieF - even if 'she' isn't full on silkie ...the 'blonde one' is adorable at this stage none-the-less!)
I think that one is a frizzle like Curly 🥰

21730012-77DC-460B-85B8-A8AE2C87C010.jpeg

Went out to work on removing all the dirt from the raised bed. Planning on replacing it with a weed barrier then the current coop muck, then last year's composted down.

It's solid ice an inch under the surface. I don't think I'm going to be getting that done anytime soon. Need a pick axe.

Put shovel, hoe, and long handled fork away in carport. Oh, egg in the semi hidden nest. More broken eggs scattered closer to the entrance. Time to rebuild the area for more shelter.

Before
View attachment 3436752

After
View attachment 3436749
View attachment 3436751View attachment 3436755
Behind the washer turned compost bin is an electrical socket with a crock pot water holder plugged in. If need be, I'll stretch the rolled fencing across to the washer to help discourage the magpies.

Refilled crock, coop water bucket and this one.View attachment 3436756

Then saw Nellie checking out the space behind the wood pile....and Lark or Indigo scooted out.

View attachment 3436757View attachment 3436758
I think I'm in trouble.....
I was just lamenting to mum that there won’t be an early thaw this year with early frogs and toads emerging and croaking and chirping ❤️

That is the true sign of Spring here. Meanwhile the ground here is like cement also.

I was just lamenting to mum that there won’t be an early thaw this year with early frogs and toads emerging and croaking and chirping ❤️

That is the true sign of Spring here. Meanwhile the ground here is like cement also.
It is very nice here, sun is shining, there are patches of ground where there is no snow :lol: Neener!

It is very nice here, sun is shining, there are patches of ground where there is no snow :lol: Neener!
The snow is so hard here I can walk in top of it haha

Hard in the horses hooves though, they break through the crust which scratches their heels and can make them bleed.

Even the chooks wouldn't go out today it might be sunny but it cold and windy.

The snow is so hard here I can walk in top of it haha

Hard in the horses hooves though, they break through the crust which scratches their heels and can make them bleed.

Even the chooks wouldn't go out today it might be sunny but it cold and windy.
Jesus Christ! That sounds painful, do you live on a grassland type area? I don't have that kind of deep snow. Also I don't even have horses, so I'm not the one to say anything. I have forest and grassland so one day I was taking a walk on the grassland type area and it went over the top of my boot haha

Re beakbook and other info about by_bob and his chicken journey can be found in the links under his name, I have to turn my phone in its side to see the links:
Screenshot_20230319-154901.jpeg

He also has stories about his chooks there 💖

Jesus Christ! That sounds painful, do you live on a grassland type area? I don't have that kind of deep snow. Also I don't even have horses, so I'm not the one to say anything. I have forest and grassland so one day I was taking a walk on the grassland type area and it went over the top of my boot haha
Central Ontario Canada, it's a mix of boreal and Carolinian forest and farmland.

But the big thing is the freeze thaw - the temps will go above zero durimg the day, and make the snow wet and then drop like a rock at night and freeze it solid.

It's hilarious walking in the backyard as I keep forgetting about the clothes line and as I am walking along will hit the line 😆 the snow raises me above the ground a couple feet.

Cant stand snow / winter...

Weather Whining Tax
(I pay alot of whining tax haha)

Fluffy McNugget
IMG_20230319_133344.jpg

Back
Top Bottom