lol
83329161_851732412010498_7866810434639101952_n.jpg

Little Eli has problems
Eli has been having issues this week and I keep delaying sharing here as I have spent most days unsure if she would pull through.
It has now been almost a week and it is unclear how this will resolve and I am sharing now so you know what she is dealing with and can send good thoughts her way.

About a week ago Eli became egg bound. I spent a day and a half giving calcium, inserting lubricant, and frantically calling vets. Finally she laid an egg and was much better for a whole day.
Then it happened again. This time she spent two days straining and crying out. I have put the video in a spoiler as it is a bit distressing.

Then on Tuesday, after a morning of straining, she laid two eggs. TWO eggs!
One of them was regular sized, the other weighed 3 ounces.
The 3 ounce one was a monster of an egg and had two yolks. These photos give a sense of the comparison of the two eggs - the smaller one is a regular size egg.

View attachment 3433778View attachment 3433779View attachment 3433780

Poor little girl. No wonder she was in distress!
As well as the straining I also noticed that her legs got weak. She couldn't jump up and spent 2 nights roosting down on the roost. Babs agreed to stay with her and Bernie was very well behaved.

I really hoped that the issue was resolved once that monster egg was out, but sadly she is egg bound again now. She had a good day today running around outside, but yesterday she was in the nest box straining for 2 hours, and at 4:30 this morning she flew down from the rafters in the dark and spent another 2 hours straining in the nest box.

Having talked to multiple vets there is not really anything I can do for her except hope for the best.

Poor little Eli.
I've been reading up on marshmallow root. I wondered if this may help our feathered ladies with laying 🤔 it contains A, Bs, 1 2 3 and 5, potassium calcium and aids with digestion.

I need to get my kiddos a cabbage - such a treat for all! I love how Lady F tore off a leaf and then wasn’t quite sure what to do with it “here, you have it” and she drops it for Phyllis 😊

Nope no SHRA, I was going to comment and clarify the whole Virus/Bacteria thing. But got side tracked.

- - - - -

Ok well I am going to make my escape to the barn and play with my chooks…
Kelly back home, pure bliss 😊

Back
Top Bottom