I shaved off a little aspirin in the mix. Just a tiny amount
Pony Sunday AD6256E2-44A8-4E3E-82E4-7A528643C5EF.jpeg

There is no way other than x-ray. They are all born with holes in their skulls which should close on their own. It is very important that they not mix with bigger chickens until their holes close as one gentle peck in the head can be fatal. They are usually closed by 4 weeks.
Is that almost like human babies whose skull plates don't fuse for a bit - only here it is a 'hole' that needs to grow/fill in??

I shaved off a little aspirin in the mix. Just a tiny amount
He can have half a low dose aspirin- I think at this point it would be safe.

But if you’re going to see a Dr (your extremely high BP), then stop at a pharmacy for liquid Tylenol- ask the pharmacist for the generic stuff it will be half the price likely.

Also get a couple of those 1cc insulin syringe without the needle - don’t get the one with the twisting lock on the needle end that will be too bulky to fit in the beak (I ended up with that type when I wormed my chooks last fall). https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-26667642

Last edited:
Oh, this is good. Measurable amount at least! Hope it will stay for a while on the mountains and melt slow for your spring/summer. (I'm also hoping that the Mts. got more!)

Plus, this isn't such a huge amount to be miserable shoveling, etc.!

Poor chickies don't like it though. When I do big clean outs of the coop every weekend, I toss the 'old bedding' onto the shoveled parts of the run to given them dry footing. And, if it rains mid-week, I toss the duck bedding (daily change!) out, and will keep the best of the weekend bedding in a large bucket type container to toss out mid-week when rain forecasted. Strategy works fine except for when we have a week straight to rain! (otherwise, most of bedding goes into compost pile....it grows so quick here!)

Compost, snow, and bedding tax:

Caught these girls working hard turning the compost
View attachment 3444683

This guy had just 'escaped' and was calling the girls to come check out what he had found in the compost pile. (it had just recently been cleaned out, so there was only about a week's worth there) They worked hard enough that there was no visible snow on it by the end of the day!
View attachment 3444685
I put old hay out in the run for them to walk on in the winter - but they rarely want to go outside when it’s cold 😟

Who would let their chicken wear this? Because I would.
View attachment 3444606
I would under 2 circumstances:
A) Hen is being over mated and back is bare/partially bare - to protect her from getting sliced by rooster spur is he slips and to keep skin from being abraded.(?sp on that last word?)

B) A severely molting hen and temps plummet. i.e. so she has little to no feathers on her back/body to keep warm. In this case, I would also put her/him near a heat source if you have it, or bring them into the house if needed, until the cold snap passes. (bring a friend in with them if for more than just overnight!)

He can have half a low dose aspirin- I think at this point it would be safe.

But if you’re going to see a Dr (your extremely high BP), then stop at a pharmacy for liquid Tylenol- ask the pharmacist for the generic stuff it will be half the price likely.
@featherhead007 and see if you can get a dye free version (they make it). They add food dyes to everything and those may not be the best thing for Jaffar at the moment.

Do you have a pharmacy nearby?

So liquid Tylenol for kids contains acetaminophen 160mg/5ml

Or

32mg/ml

One would need to reduce that dose further to 0.5ml (would be 16mg so appropriate for a 1.5kg bird or 3lb bird).

someone pleas check my calculations…. Thnx.

Really good to know if this is so.

Edit:
@RoyalChick
Yes, calculations are good. .5 ml = 1.5 kg or 3.3 lb bird

(note, if you have a scale that does lbs. and ounces, that would be approx. 3 lbs, 5 ounces.), or approx. 53 ounces, if scale does just ounces.

Sad news we found the small black silkie dead this morning. Breaks my heart.
I am so sorry. This is why when I sell chicks I tend to hang onto them for a few days before listing. Most times if I loose one it is in the first 4 to 5 days. It kills me, but, I would rather bear the heartache then a new owner.

Do you have a pharmacy nearby?

So liquid Tylenol for kids contains acetaminophen 160mg/5ml

Or

32mg/ml

One would need to reduce that dose further to 0.5ml (would be 16mg so appropriate for a 1.5kg bird or 3lb bird).

someone pleas check my calculations…. Thnx.

Really good to know if this is so.

Edit:
@RoyalChick
The math looks right to me.

Back
Top Bottom