Test Video
Someone let me know if you can access this.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuY3biXUAsmoyz5MvyWG4bi_fWvW?e=6pfQjk

2nd Test Video
Same deal. Could someone check and let me know if this works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvwk6gilah1jzu3/20180728_185949.mp4?dl=0

@BY Bob Both work without logging into anything. I am also not automatically logged into anything.

However, for BYC readers, it is really a lot easier if the videos are EMBEDDED into the posts, which is why there are only a few video host sites to choose from. DailyMotion is not great, but much less censored than YouTube.

Another tip I have for everyone is to use Brave browser. It is more private and bypasses all YouTube ads. I thought Bob would like to know that youtube is not making money from me.

I understand Bob wants to have full control, but even if you want to use onedrive or dropbox (by the way, I will go with Dropbox, Onedrive or googledrive are all copycat of dropbox and Dropbox is still far more superior), your videos can possibly quickly fill up the storage, even with a paid account.
Don't think that is correct. I haven't tried it yet but the instructions say they are automatically private.
There is a private option for DailyMotion, but then only you can view it. There isn't an option like "unlisted" on youtube, I think.

@Ponypoor But why is not able to set to private a problem?

Ya that sucks - I have my chrome auto logging into google, but I also use Firefox on my laptop so no google on that one!

Chickens nails really hurt when they perch on your leg!

View attachment 3448717
Wear tougher pants.

20230329_184240.jpg

Sorry, I see that now! And at first I thought they got eggs and hatched them but I see they get vaccinated chicks so they don't hatch them. Rats!

Can you have chicks shipped to you? There's this place in Bellingham Washington, they raise their own and pasture the males for "heritage chicken" i.e., slaughter them themselves. They are trying to be a self-sustaining operation. BUT it's all straight-run, unless you get auto-sexed types.

https://www.springcreekheritagefarms.com/about.html
Yes, I think I can have the chicks shipped here. However, after what happened with Bob, I don’t think I ever want to go that route. If the local breeder here doesn’t work out, I think I will use Alchemist Farms. It’s a bit of a treck, but I can drive there. They have three breeds of chickens that can be sexed at hatch. And their unwanted males are sold very inexpensively for low income people to grow for food. It’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better than the large scale hatcheries in my opinion. I think we all have to do what we believe is morally right in our own hearts. I know some people might be appalled by that, but for me, it might be the best option I have.

I guess it is time for a Marshmallow update. They are doing marvelous and spend less time with Chiquita. Their primary stomping ground is the backyard. Chiquita never took them out to the front yard and so far they have never been bold enough to venture around the house. They to me are still small, but, I tell myself that is normal they are never going to be big chickens. While they still have their baby cheeps, I look at them now and see a mini comb less leghorn and not a random white chick. Anything they can fly up on, they will and it becomes their playground. The lawnmower and 4-wheeler parked out back are a favorite jungle gym. I can already see how our relationship is going to be and that they will never be lap and cuddle chickens. I am ok with that, I have those already. I can sit close to them, or they will come and gather around me when I sit down. They watch every move I make. Very nosey chicks. They will eat out of my hand as long as I do not try to touch or pick up. I can pet them at night once they are on the roost, no other time. While I am not allowed to touch them, if the mood strikes them they are allowed to touch me. And by that I mean if they want to use me as a spring board to go higher onto something they will. They have watched the other chickens defend the yard against evil trespassers. They now work as a unit to chase off any bird that dares to land around the back steps. These chicks are smart, super smart. I cannot be sad one bit that they are not wanting to be held all the time because I love watching the wheels in their brains turn. I've already been outsmarted when it comes to feeding time. That constant watching of me, they have learned where the feed is stored. They have also learned that when I feed everyone I leave the lid open until I am done. Why should they fight with the mob for those first few bites when all they have to do is wait 3 seconds for me to walk away. Hello entire bag of open feed all to themselves. Little devils. I will say it now while they are still young, if the world is ever taken over by chickens. You can bet there is a leghorn at the top calling all the shots.
Fantastic marshmallow update!

Danger Danger!

I was out doing chores and all of a sudden the chickens went crazy cackling and calling, I ran to see what was up. Everyone was standing straight upright looking over into the middle paddock, I looked and all I could see was a Crow creating a fuss. A Robin then flew up from the paddock and flew away, but the Crow kept circling and creating a fuss, the chickens also continued with their raucous cackling.

Then up popped a orangy/red head from the dried grass - A FOX! The Crow went mad cackling, the chickens were just freaking out - and I joined into that symphony of cackling, cawing and calling with my own screams - Get Out, Go Away you so-and-so, Get Out Of Here!

The fox, knowing he had been made opted to go away, he darted over into the horses paddock where Lulu added to his hasty departure (good pony!).

Run for the hills! I started to get all the chickens rounded up - not easy as they wanted to stay and watch the crow, who was following the Fox as he went elsewhere; doesn't matter where he went that Crow was making sure everyone knew he was around - good Crow!

Everyone is now inside - and while I am sure that Fox was more interested in hunting mice in the long dead grass in the paddock, I figure why take a risk? Once this round of Evil White Stuff is over I will finish off the Roost Run - get it covered, to prevent aerial predators and keep those they like to fly over the fence, in; and electric fencing on the outside to prevent ground predators.

💕
How scary! That fox would love to have one of your chickens for dinner. Please don’t underestimate him. He is likely to return.

Yes, I think I can have the chicks shipped here. However, after what happened with Bob, I don’t think I ever want to go that route. If the local breeder here doesn’t work out, I think I will use Alchemist Farms. It’s a bit of a treck, but I can drive there. They have three breeds of chickens that can be sexed at hatch. And their unwanted males are sold very inexpensively for low income people to grow for food. It’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better than the large scale hatcheries in my opinion. I think we all have to do what we believe is morally right in our own hearts. I know some people might be appalled by that, but for me, it might be the best option I have.
I think you will be happy if you go with Alchemist Farms. I chose them for many of the same reasons you stated and have been very happy with my little flock.
On a side note, they mentioned in a recent FB post acknowledging that last yr they did indeed have multiple issues with the usps getting their chicks safely delivered in a timely manner however so far this they have had no problems at all. I mention this so you can weigh the drive vs ship costs as I just saw their post today addressing this concern and the significant improvements this yr vs last.

Back
Top Bottom