12 happy and healthy chicks now in the brooder. I did end up loosing the weak one yesterday evening. It seemed to be getting stronger. I actually thought yesterday afternoon it had turned a corner and was going to make it. Sadly this is one of the downfalls of incubating your own, you will have some no matter how hard you try you will loose. It hurts each time. I still have 6 eggs left, going to check them this afternoon, no pips and no movement from the eggs so I'm worried. Overlook the brooder mess and their water dish. To teach them to drink I sprinkled some of their chick feed into it. It worked right away after I put some in. I swear chicks are born with the "only drink wild water" motto. Now that everyone is eating and drinking good I'm removing the paper towels and putting in my favorite bedding, sawdust. They can make a mess out of it, but, it smells so clean and no stinky brooder.
View attachment 3451380View attachment 3451382View attachment 3451384View attachment 3451385View attachment 3451389View attachment 3451390View attachment 3451391View attachment 3451392View attachment 3451393
So wonderful. Is this a typical hatch % for you?

Terrifying News

I have a respiratory outbreak.

So far 3 of my 7 are showing symptoms. Lady Featherington is the worst with a mucous-style rattle in her throat. Her lungs are clear at the moment. Aurora has a raspy voice, and Sydney is sneezing. In fact all three are sneezing. The three of them spend most of the day together and roost together along with Glynda. So far Glynda is showing no symptoms.

Hattie, Betty and Phyllis are not showing symptoms.

I first noticed symptoms on Thursday. If this is bird flu then they will likely be showing serious symptoms today. So far they are acting like normal chickens.

So what have I done. Because Hattie, Phyllis and Betty don't sleep with the core 4, I have decided to separate them. It's probably too late but I want to at least give them a chance. I have the space and ability to do it so why not.

Glynda remains with the 3 sick hens. There is no way she has not been exposed and I am not going to risk her being a carrier and exposing the other 3 if they have not already been exposed.

On the chance that this is bacterial, say mycoplasma, I am treating the symptomatic chickens with enrofloxacin (Baytril).

I have decided to not test for viral pathogens because if it is viral, there is nothing I can do anyway. Once I have started treating with antibiotics I need to complete the course anyway.

Today will be day 3. If it is bird flu there should be significant symptoms. If not, it does not mean they do not have bird flu but their odds improve. There is very little knowledge on what happens to chickens if you do not cull immediately upon symptoms.

I have not taken anyone to the vet because she would immediately test for bird flu. If it is bird flu they would cull them all on me even if they have no symptoms. Also there is little she can do besides test and treat with antibiotics like I am.

Needless to say I am very worried. It is strange to wish a bacterial infection upon your chickens but that would be the absolutely best outcome at this point.

I am sharing this so you know what is happening and why I might be distracted or unavailable. I am very fearful that I am about to lose them all.

Please know that I believe I am plotting the best course possible for my ladies. It may all be for naught but I am doing all I can do with the resources at hand and knowledge I have.

Obviously I will update as I can but if I am not on BYC much you know why.
Oh no! I'm so sorry :hugs :hugs I hope everyone pulls through! :fl
Totally agree with and understand your reasoning, I would do the same at this point.

Terrifying News

So far 3 of my 7 are showing symptoms. Lady Featherington is the worst with a mucous-style rattle in her throat. Her lungs are clear at the moment. Aurora has a raspy voice, and Sydney is sneezing. In fact all three are sneezing. The three of them spend most of the day together and roost together along with Glynda. So far Glynda is showing no symptoms.

I first noticed symptoms on Thursday. If this is bird flu then they will likely be showing serious symptoms today. So far they are acting like normal chickens.

So what have I done. Because Hattie, Phyllis and Betty don't sleep with the core 4, I have decided to separate them. It's probably too late but I want to at least give them a chance. I have the space and ability to do it so why not.

Glynda remains with the 3 sick hens. There is no way she has not been exposed and I am not going to risk her being a carrier and exposing the other 3 if they have not already been exposed.

On the chance that this is bacterial, say mycoplasma, I am treating the symptomatic chickens with enrofloxacin (Baytril).

I have decided to not test for viral pathogens because if it is viral, there is nothing I can do anyway. Once I have started treating with antibiotics I need to complete the course anyway.

Today will be day 3. If it is bird flu there should be significant symptoms. If not, it does not mean they do not have bird flu but their odds improve. There is very little knowledge on what happens to chickens if you do not cull immediately upon symptoms.

I have not taken anyone to the vet because she would immediately test for bird flu. If it is bird flu they would cull them all on me even if they have no symptoms. Also there is little she can do besides test and treat with antibiotics like I am.

Needless to say I am very worried. It is strange to wish a bacterial infection upon your chickens but that would be the absolutely best outcome at this point.

I am sharing this so you know what is happening and why I might be distracted or unavailable. I am very fearful that I am about to lose them all.

Please know that I believe I am plotting the best course possible for my ladies. It may all be for naught but I am doing all I can do with the resources at hand and knowledge I have.

:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

I know you have always done what is best for your girls, and given them the best of care - ALWAYS.

Separating is good! I suspect that they would be significantly worse today if it was avian flu, given it's history of quick onset and high mortality. I"m hoping that this is allergies. Has it been quite moist your way? I'm thinking that it has been warmer, without the 'deep freezes' we are accustomed to here, and much more rain than snow. Could it be more mold in the air causing issues? Normally, when we get this much WET moisture (versus frozen), it is usually warmer in general, and we can open things up for more airflow......

:fl🙏 You and your girls are in my thoughts - if positive thoughts has any power - you and your girls will be fine!!:hugs❤️:hugs❤️

Morning Update
All seems good this morning. There does not seem to be any spread to even Glynda at this point. Everyone is behaving very chicken like. No lethargy. Baytril dose delivered this morning without incident.

I cleaned up the Cluckle Hut for the girls that have to share it now.

20230401_100627.jpg

I have a distaste for dog owners who don't properly train and supervise their dogs. We've lost a few chooks to our own dogs but with attention and training even Maya our husky female is Chicken friendly now. That being said I still keep a close eye on her.
I have a distaste for any animal owner that lets there animals loose. all my chooks are in a cozy coop at night locked up safe and a enclosed run with the sides covered so my dogs cant see them. I have 5 dogs in the house and only go to the fenced in backyard to sun and potty. I dont want my animals hurting others and vice versa.

So wonderful. Is this a typical hatch % for you?
No it is not. Typically I get at least 75% hatch rate from eggs set. I took a chance this time, I set some cochin eggs and one of my Maran's baby's eggs who had never hatched last year. 1 of baby's eggs have hatched so far and 2 cochin mixes. If I had used more proven girls like Butter or some of the other girls I am sure my hatch rate would have been better. Right now if nothing else hatches out of 23 eggs set I had 13 hatch including the one I lost. Just over 50%.

Morning Update
All seems good this morning. There does not seem to be any spread to even Glynda at this point. Everyone is behaving very chicken like. No lethargy. Baytril dose delivered this morning without incident.

I cleaned up the Cluckle Hut for the girls that have to share it now.

View attachment 3451414
Good news so far :fl :hugs :hugs :fl

Ah, yes, but you can see she was calculating - multiple times! (always good to double check your math!)
I was Astonished when she just threw herself off the ledge! And of course I couldn’t see her, my cameras didn’t cover that angle.

The new setup is much better, and she has been roosting in the bottom nestbox thankfully!

Either I’m a great cook, or she was hungry! When I said she attacked me, she did! From the ground up to my shoulders, flapping her wings in my face. Trying to knock the plate out of my hand. Gezz is she fast when she wants to be. That’s my excitement for the evening!
Ps. It was safe to come out of the bathroom, she had perched in the chickens room. :old
Terrifying News

That’s horrible. You know that my tribe trimmed down by having respiratory problems . So I hope that you don’t experience that heartache in your tribe. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom