FINALLY!!!

She’s out of the nest box!
She’s out of the nest box!
Coco finally isn’t broody any more, and is roosting normally. :wee:wee:wee:wee:wee:wee:ya
Hahahaha, I hear ya, I see my silkie babies are wandering around more and more on their own when the mamas let them.

I feel that the hand raised chicks are far more advanced then those broody babies.

Hello, FBA ! Warning for a long update 🙂. I didn't share many chick pics up to now. I have had several health issues happening within my flock, just the week before the chicks hatched. I was worried not all the chicks would make it. They have been healthy up to now, their 11th days, I'm still worried but enjoying how incredible it is to see them being taught the chicken world by their broody mama, Léa.
They are not named yet except the yellow chick, who at 11 days is a most likely potential roo, named Max (after the grand son of the neighbour who gave us four of the eggs).
IMG_20230601_123617.jpg
IMG_20230601_092348.jpg
IMG_20230601_085118.jpg
IMG_20230601_080007.jpg

IMG_20230601_074600.jpg

And that same week, four days before the chicks hatched, we got four new point of lay pullets. They have been quarantined until this tuesday and have now integrated the coop and chicken yard. We got them hoping that having more adult hens will allow our roosters Théo and Gaston to coexist without trying to kill each other. Introducing Kara and Lily, and Alba and Nieva.
IMG_20230601_112852.jpg
IMG_20230601_111135.jpg

IMG_20230601_100558.jpg
IMG_20230531_130154.jpg

IMG_20230601_095449.jpg

Alba and Nieva are leghorns. One of them has started laying, not certain which, tiny eggs. They didn't arrive here in very good condition but I think they are doing a bit better now. They are both quite sure of themselves and daring, so they had no trouble integrating with the other chickens. Good flyers and jumpers, although it shows they have not been used to having the space to do so 🙁. Gaston is in love with them, and they also like him a lot. Nieva even began grooming him and sleeping next to him yesterday. They are still rather weary of humans that try to come near, and we didn't spend a lot of time with them during quarantine. But we have a very effective bribe at this time of year : few chickens can resist cherries !

PS : my partner chose the name Lily. So if it wasn't meant as a tribute to @BY Bob 's Lily, it will still make me think of her. He chose it for this song (I'm not including the video for nudity / potentially offensive content).

Hello, FBA ! Warning for a long update 🙂. I didn't share many chick pics up to now. I have had several health issues happening within my flock, just the week before the chicks hatched. I was worried not all the chicks would make it. They have been healthy up to now, their 11th days, I'm still worried but enjoying how incredible it is to see them being taught the chicken world by their broody mama, Léa.
They are not named yet except the yellow chick, who at 11 days is a most likely potential roo, named Max (after the grand son of the neighbour who gave us four of the eggs).
View attachment 3525221View attachment 3525223View attachment 3525224View attachment 3525226
View attachment 3525253

And that same week, four days before the chicks hatched, we got four new point of lay pullets. They have been quarantined until this tuesday and have now integrated the coop and chicken yard. We got them hoping that having more adult hens will allow our roosters Théo and Gaston to coexist without trying to kill each other. Introducing Kara and Lily, and Alba and Nieva.
View attachment 3525236View attachment 3525237
View attachment 3525232View attachment 3525233
View attachment 3525257
Alba and Nieva are leghorns. One of them has started laying, not certain which, tiny eggs. They didn't arrive here in very good condition but I think they are doing a bit better now. They are both quite sure of themselves and daring, so they had no trouble integrating with the other chickens. Good flyers and jumpers, although it shows they have not been used to having the space to do so 🙁. Gaston is in love with them, and they also like him a lot. Nieva even began grooming him and sleeping next to him yesterday. They are still rather weary of humans that try to come near, and we didn't spend a lot of time with them during quarantine. But we have a very effective bribe at this time of year : few chickens can resist cherries !

PS : my partner chose the name Lily. So if it wasn't meant as a tribute to @BY Bob 's Lily, it will still make me think of her. He chose it for this song (I'm not including the video for nudity / potentially offensive content).
2 white leghorns and 2 black copper marans? Glad Lea gets to be a momma again. 🥰 The babies are adorable. Are you hoping this will bring more acceptance from the rest of the adults?

No fresh pics of the babes, but "mama" lifted up after the adults left the coop for breakfast. They're all awake, some came out and were pecking at food a bit. Not expecting a whole lot yet. One of the dark chippies only hatched late on Tuesday. The others were Sunday night into early Tuesday so they're still running mostly on the egg yolk. Thing came up to the window and watched them intently. Twirp also cruised by. She didn't appear to be watching closely, but she did peck at the ground in front of the window, then kept moving. Some of the babes started pecking at their feed immediately after, so the "follow what the adults do" is already happening. They very much have the go under "mama" for a good snuggle down well.

I'll take pics after work today.

Back
Top Bottom