@RebeccaBoyd and @rural mouse You are both good at identifying pullets versus cockerels...I know it is a bit early, but who is what?
View attachment 3526318View attachment 3526319
View attachment 3526321
This one is clearly part CM (?maybe part BR, but CM is much more likely!) This one will have a straight comb.

View attachment 3526323View attachment 3526324View attachment 3526325
I know the first pic. of this one looks like a cockerel stance - but it was trying to catch a bug. I haven't seen any of them have that stance yet - but with work I don't get to observe them as much as I would like. I think this one will have a pea comb.

View attachment 3526328View attachment 3526330
View attachment 3526332
This one I think will have a pea comb, also. Clearly part EE with those puffy cheeks.

View attachment 3526335
Hey, mom...I no longer fit, and can't fly over this fence yet. Waaaaiiiiit, come back!

And, not least, but my 5th. Also part CM (or BR). Much smaller head spot, single comb.
View attachment 3526337View attachment 3526339
I'm thinking those feet look awful big.

I am thinking 2 or 3 roos, but not sure. I figure I will have a better shot at guessing in another week. They are about 2.5 weeks old now. (I think....things have been so crazy lately, that I can't keep track of time at all!)
I'm not weighing on sexing. I just think it is adorable.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Shadrach wrote this. I learned a lot about handling roos. And inspite of the big fight, all 5 of my boys were/are calm around people.
I have read that article several times and it is excellent! I would have waited Oreo out if it hadn’t been for him going after my 4 yr old son :( His behavior began when Chip was killed while he was trapped unable to help her in the run. Whatever happened that day changed him, I will forever be sorry that it happened.
This time I chose a breed that is known for having mellow Roosters generally and although I do not have an older Roo, I do have older girls to teach him. I am hopeful but realistic.
Look on Kijiji for an older Roo that someone is wanting to rehome. Young Roos are nothing but trouble for at least a yr or two. I lucked out with Mr P - he was the right age and had already been clobbered by another Roo, so he knew to behave.
I would like to breed this line if I can but if it doesn’t work again I will 100% do this. Is Kijiji like Facebook marketplace or Craigslist here?

My daughter is in Cloverbuds 4H now so I am betting I could now find a good Roo if my attempt fails.

Baby pics:
IMG_9213.jpeg

IMG_9244.jpeg

IMG_9248.jpeg
IMG_9240.jpeg
IMG_9245.jpeg

I have read that article several times and it is excellent! I would have waited Oreo out if it hadn’t been for him going after my 4 yr old son :( His behavior began when Chip was killed while he was trapped unable to help her in the run. Whatever happened that day changed him, I will forever be sorry that it happened.
This time I chose a breed that is known for having mellow Roosters generally and although I do not have an older Roo, I do have older girls to teach him. I am hopeful but realistic.

I would like to breed this line if I can but if it doesn’t work again I will 100% do this. Is Kijiji like Facebook marketplace or Craigslist here?

My daughter is in Cloverbuds 4H now so I am betting I could now find a good Roo if my attempt fails.

Baby pics:
View attachment 3528216
View attachment 3528217
View attachment 3528218View attachment 3528219View attachment 3528220
Like Craigslist.

Wow those chicks are growing love the colour!

Baby pics:
View attachment 3528216
View attachment 3528217
View attachment 3528218View attachment 3528219View attachment 3528220
That second pic is definitely a cockerel, handsome wee fella 💕

Back
Top Bottom