This is what I use. The mini tabs are super easy to give a chicken.
I have given up to four at a time as recommended by the vet and a few of the more knowledgeable people on BYC.
But sometimes the chicken has had enough of being given pills after only two.
The dose of calcium and vitamin D in each tablet is in the text at the top.

6377E086-C178-4895-8B71-AE347ABFC6A9.jpeg

And I can’t even get EE’s here :he :hit
There was about 50 to choose from. I think I annoyed the employee. I had specific requirements. I wanted the smaller chicks so they would be similar in size to the ones Raven currently has. There was some older chicks mixed in. I wanted to look at each ones beak to make sure I did not buy a cross beak and look at their butts as well. Really, it would have been easier if he had just let me catch them myself. I really annoyed him with the barred rocks. First 3 chicks he picked up had huge head spots and I was like nope, that is a boy. We argued back and forth that they were sexed pullets no males in the bin. In the end I got the 2 I wanted with the smallest head spot. These rocks are imposters. Grandma wanted Dominique's, I cannot find them in a 200 mile radius. So no I change my mind, they are not fake rocks they are fake dommers. I showed her pictures of what they should look like as adults and she is very satisfied. I cannot tell you how happy I was to hear the store had speckled sussex. Before I got the Marans, speckled sussex were on my short list but no one carried them. I am sad tractor supply were sold out of chicks, I sort of wanted bielfielders. They were supposed to get another shipment in Thursday. They will have to come another time. If I had waited 1 more day I do not Raven would have accepted these.

The tiny light yellow chick is half silkie, the only Chiquita egg to hatch. The other 3 hatched out of goose eggs so are at least 1/4 silkie. Depending on daddy they are either 3/4 marans or 1/2 marans and 1/2 silkie if Twig is the daddy. So I managed to get a gold and silver based EE. I am thrilled if so because I was trying to. I could easily have broke over and got 8 EEs as the bin was filled with fluffy faced cuties.
The little red faced black chick has all black feet so definitely marans x silkie with the black skin. Do the 1/4 silkies keep the black skin or is that hit or miss? The EE pic has the gold on the left and silver on the right. The down color difference will get easy to see soon, probably with the wing feathers. The Rock pics, first one, I saw the glow of the head spot and the stance and thought "uh-oh". Then saw the second with the tiny spots. Unless they're only half barred rock (unlikely but possible), headspot says both pullets. Going to be fun watching them all grow up.

So I lucked out and found a feed store with chicks. Made a quick trip there as Raven was about ready to leave the nest box and any chance of her adopting more chicks was running out. She has had them for 2 hours, I'm cautious but think she is going to take them. There have been a few pecks but not aggressive. She is encouraging them under her. She did this when she adopted the single chick last year and Chiquita did the same with the Marshmallows. I will feel better though tomorrow morning. It just so happens that today is 2 for Tuesday, how convenient.
First the 4 she hatched out.
2 blondes
View attachment 3531346
2 uncooperative black chicks.
View attachment 3531348
Now for her adoptive chicks
2 Wyandottes, gold and silver laced
View attachment 3531349
2 speckled sussex, most excited about these 2.
View attachment 3531350
2 Barred Rocks...alex they are probably fake, makes them even more special.
View attachment 3531351View attachment 3531352
2 Americaunas or easter eggers. Yup, I have went to the dark side. Aurora would be proud.
View attachment 3531353
Oh My Gosh ! Soooo cute

I am so glad you were able to get them, I really can’t wait to see the barres rocks grow up ❤️ The others also but really want to see how their feathers change.

Back
Top Bottom