I'm not convinced there isn't more "wrong" with her, she's not acting like a normal molting chicken. Except for going nuts over walnuts she still acts like she doesn't feel well, though she's better. But there's nothing to do except nurse her along and see how she does. Time will maybe tell.
That's what I would do. :hugs :hugs

Yup just realized that!! Duh!

I am all balled up here, upset and frustrated, can’t think straight - having a miserable week.

Just glad at least the weather is good. I was enjoying sitting with the chooks when poor Floyd was killed in front of me. They were scrapping a brawl broke out next thing he’s gone 😢

This morning thought I lost Twister couldn’t find her anywhere, a couple hrs later she showed up, she had dug a tunnel in the hay pile and laid an egg in there. Then the boys were harassing the hens, and then Floyd…
When having such a bad day, do as I do, get out of your own head for a while and let the world keep spinning. You will catch up soon enough. I blast loud music in my ears sometimes, to calm my nerves. There’s always my emotional support rooster Jaffar here too. I’m glad for that. Be safe Kelly, be you, and be happy

Made a modification to Chickatraz for them to familiarize themselves with navigating the coop roosting platform bars. I want to move them out there next week or sooner. I made a step/jump down spot with the old roosting bar. So what do they do? All mush together on the old bar. They barely fit and spent about fifteen minutes changing places and getting everyone on there.

Maybe by tomorrow they will be more used to the new structure. They didn't have much time to explore it this evening. I'm going to try to lower the step bar so the platform will look more appealing (?)
View attachment 3640814
So the one on the left end, kind of mushed against the plastic, stood up and shoved - hip-checked - the one next to her. And stayed leaning in, pushing with her foot! Everybody else stood a little and moved over.

On Guard
Aurora spent 15 minutes on the footstool watching as everyone went to roost.

First she checked this direction
20230920_185321.jpg

Then this direction
20230920_185355.jpg

Then this way
20230920_185336.jpg

All was clear. Everyone got tucked in safe and sound. Then she went to roost herself.

Did you deduct the value of the meat when doing your ROI?
About $12 for a whole small chicken these days, at the grocery store. So $60 for 5 chickens.

To process is about $9 a chicken plus fuel which would be at least $70 if not more, then a whole day lost as I would have to leave early around 7am to be there by 9am as they want processing to start then, and wait for the process to be completed, they won’t release the meat till it’s chilled to a certain temp, then drive 2 hrs back home.

Last time I didn’t get home till almost 6, so that’s an expensive chicken. $45 + $70 = $115 for 5 chickens!

If there was a close by place I could drop them off, and pick up the next day. But no way I am driving 2 hrs back home and then do it again the next day, with the price of fuel esp!

Not easy having poultry here.

When having such a bad day, do as I do, get out of your own head for a while and let the world keep spinning. You will catch up soon enough. I blast loud music in my ears sometimes, to calm my nerves. There’s always my emotional support rooster Jaffar here too. I’m glad for that. Be safe Kelly, be you, and be happy
Thanks Alex, I am just chillaxing now checking the News to see what’s up - same old same old there…

No good shows on, thought of firing up the laptop to watch Father Brown but not really interested in that… settled on Corner Gas…. Silly comedy show.

About $12 for a whole small chicken these days, at the grocery store. So $60 for 5 chickens.

To process is about $9 a chicken plus fuel which would be at least $70 if not more, then a whole day lost as I would have to leave early around 7am to be there by 9am as they want processing to start then, and wait for the process to be completed, they won’t release the meat till it’s chilled to a certain temp, then drive 2 hrs back home.

Last time I didn’t get home till almost 6, so that’s an expensive chicken. $45 + $70 = $115 for 5 chickens!

If there was a close by place I could drop them off, and pick up the next day. But no way I am driving 2 hrs back home and then do it again the next day, with the price of fuel esp!

Not easy having poultry here.
But what about me? It’s not easy being green, I blend in with so many ordinary things! 🐸

Back
Top Bottom