There are a lot of F bombs going in my head right now 😢

And Rico is a dead duck 😡 he just killed Floyd, i hate these roosters. I have been doing my darnedest to get rid of these rotten little flockers, and I am sure Rico was the cause of Tuff’s demise.

To say I hate the little so and so’s would be mild. The hens hate them, I hate them. I will never hatch eggs again, I will never give anyone any of my eggs to hatch.

I just caught each of them and chucked them into the summer house - they can stay there till I can either get rid of them or get my BIL’s brother down to kill them for me.

I am so done with Roos. ROTTEN. LITTLE. FLOCKERS

😡😡😡😡😡
This has been my nightmare for a few months with my two roosters. I’m really sorry you had to go through this. It's why even though I love my roosters and my cockerel, I keep telling people to really think about it before keeping one rooster, and really think about it again before keeping severals. They are not pets like hens can be, there is no way to be sure things will work out or not. For many of us there is no easy solution if it doesn't.

I hope you can find something that works out less costly than the vet. Apart from the suggestions that have already been made and your farrier's partner, my only other idea would be to offer them free and meet the person halfway to limit kilometers.

Tax : we re-homed Petit Blanc a few days ago to a neighbour. He was the dominant of the two cockerels, and beginning to mate some of the unwilling adult hens. We’re keeping Pied Beau for the time being but when he poses a problem he will have to go too, even if we’ve grown very fond of him.
IMG_20230915_133924.jpg

Ah but I am using vinyl gutter with the clips and whatnot. It's a blinding white too, I wanted brown. The run is not a thing of beauty to begin with! The Rainsaver system https://hallsrainsaver.com/ looked great and totally my speed and I think I could clamp it on something. But the whole system is only available in the U.K. The brackets are available here, but it's made for 3" half-round pipe and I couldn't find that and didn't want to make it, and 3" might not be adequate for the torrential rains we get here...and could it handle piles of snow and ice and stay clamped on? I basically loved that it requires no tools essentially. I do appreciate tools, but I just love putting things together without them. Anything snap-together. Legos, Lincoln Logs, etc. The chicken's run is that way actually and the coop only required a screwdriver.

🤔 I must be tool-phobic.

Anti-Tool tax
The Spuds are at least twice as big now!
View attachment 3640474
I'm with you. Huge fan of woodworking without nails. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon

Young Foxy
20221006_144318.jpg

Even younger Foxy
20220622_125230.jpg

I just love that the ceramic eggs get moved from box to box. It's so endearing. She doesn't want her egg to be lonely.
I am really not sure of the plan behind shuffling the eggs. I sometimes think it is to cause me to lose my mind.

Tax: Sylvie is not yet big enough to be totally able to move the eggs. Sometimes she succeeds in getting them up over the lip but other times she moves herself and lays her egg with the ceramic one (wherever Bernie or Babs left it last)
8A2F95EF-1CFF-40E3-A5EE-4181853B6F6E.jpeg

Last edited:
You really do need a Cream Legbar. Those crested critters are perfect. They have floppy combs, great personalities, the flight of a Leghorn (minus an inch or so), and, BLUE EGGS! EVERY DAY!!!
At this rate you should really join the Cream Legbar Club. You should ask Aurora to see what she says. She is probably thirsting for another follower to dominate (besides you).
You talking about me again?
0B9734A2-413D-4A43-BFC5-E72B9D17EC24.jpeg

This has been my nightmare for a few months with my two roosters. I’m really sorry you had to go through this. It's why even though I love my roosters and my cockerel, I keep telling people to really think about it before keeping one rooster, and really think about it again before keeping severals. They are not pets like hens can be, there is no way to be sure things will work out or not. For many of us there is no easy solution if it doesn't.

I hope you can find something that works out less costly than the vet. Apart from the suggestions that have already been made and your farrier's partner, my only other idea would be to offer them free and meet the person halfway to limit kilometers.

Tax : we re-homed Petit Blanc a few days ago to a neighbour. He was the dominant of the two cockerels, and beginning to mate some of the unwilling adult hens. We’re keeping Pied Beau for the time being but when he poses a problem he will have to go too, even if we’ve grown very fond of him.
View attachment 3641037
I'm glad you were able to rehome him. Roosters are truly different than hens and present challenges that are very different. One should go into keeping roosters with their eyes open and options identified.

I mean, the same genetics just in a different combination? That's why they're both "Legbars"? The blue egg thing in there is supposed to be the same. Or is it not? I don't know but that's what I thought. @rural mouse would know.
'Fraid I do NOT know. I haven't researched the genetics of legbar colors beyond the basic cream crested. No idea how they got the white.

Speculation: crossed with something with dominant white (which I don't really understand cause it breaks rules). Legbars are supposed to be auto-sexing. The cream crested is. Don't know about the other color varieties. Logically they should be to be classified as legbars. Reality: no idea on that either. My point: in bringing in other colors, breeders also bring in other egg colors. Results: the other feather color varieties may still need work to breed to standards, which may or may not exist yet.

Whether or not Glynda produces blue eggs, she's a beauty.

I am really not sure of the plan behind shuffling the eggs. I sometimes think it is to cause me to lose my mind.

Tax: Sylvie is not yet big enough to be totally able to move the eggs. Sometimes she succeeds in getting them up over the lip but other times she moves herself and lays her egg with the ceramic one (wherever Bernie or Babs left it last)
View attachment 3641049
She's your silver welbar, correct? I love the patterning on her snow. :love

Back
Top Bottom