Attachments

• 8EF9FC6A-83A3-4063-B08C-D5820A497EEC.jpeg
    8EF9FC6A-83A3-4063-B08C-D5820A497EEC.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the explanations and sorry for being off topic. It's something I have been wondering about ever since I have beginning to read posts on US Instagram accounts and BYC mentioning bone broth, and I always felt too stupid to ask 😂. I didn't know exactly what a crock pot or instant pot is, but i’m pretty sure that is just my ignorance of modern kitchen appliances and not that we don't have them here !
We are actually also rich in electricity in France because we are the only country in Europe that produces and relies heavily on nuclear (and that is something I personally really don't agree with, but it's a very divisive question). However the energy market is a European one and prices are regulated on the EU level, electricity and gas are indexed on one another. Each country has it's own margin on the level of tax applied. There has been a lot of discounts in France, and our energy price is strongly regulated, but the price has still risen a lot since the war in Ukraine, though probably less than in other countries. And we all have those digital counters for electricity which show you on an app how much you spend throughout every hour of the day, so at least for people using apps on cellphones, it's hard to ignore.

Off topic tax and some wattles for Wednesday : Gaston in better days this summer. Now he is molting he seems slightly tired, and doesn't look good. It's funny also, he was really smitten with the leghorns when they just got here but now he couldn't care less about them. I think he pays more attention to the latest hens arrived ( the four pullets from the may hatch) and he actually prefers the bigger hens now he has a large number to pick from in his yard, Nougat the ex-batt, Kara and Lilly the cross Marans.
View attachment 3662126
Gaston is a lovely Roo such a handsome boy.

We have those smart meters here but we don’t have apps to monitor our energy use. Our monthly invoice will show what energy was used and will show how it compares to last year and our neighbours. Mum and I laugh at the ‘compare to neighbours’ section. Our house is 50+ yrs old so yep less energy savings than a new build.

Tax

BFTP

Mr P and his lady friend Marty - love this photo

B1DB2426-B625-4C09-9073-271AB5574D41.jpeg

Exactly. It is an old kitchen wall cabinet. The door side is in the servant’s quarters and is how I access eggs. The back has holes cut through so the ladies can come in from the coop side.
There are 6 sets of bowls. I initially I cut five holes but I hung three of them back as they seemed to want more privacy. I may replace with curtains.
The top left space is covered by the brooder box. That is where Eli went broody and so the babies were all around her just separated by a thin wall if cabinet wood. I noticed her responding to their peep peeps long before they ever saw each other.
🥰
Here is the cabinet from the chicken side.
View attachment 3662149
Such a good job with your nest boxes. Your Hen House is a true palace 😊

Thank you for these - it has been so long since I have seen any of your or @MaryJanet 's chooks

They are so lovely!

Is Ha'Penny a Seabright, or part Seabright? She has similar coloring to one, but the tail doesn't seem upright enough....????
Ha'penny is a Campine. They are considered super flighty & not suitable chickens for beginners. They are completely mad. She is the last of the 5 I had & my oldest chicken now, but not my lead hen.she is too flighty & independent.

On the other hand Portia is a frizzled Wyandotte. They are spectacular frizzled.

Such a good job with your nest boxes. Your Hen House is a true palace 😊
Awww. Thank you!
I love designing stuff and I love re-purposing old stuff. The Chicken Palace gave me ample opportunity for both. I would have loved doing that even without the chickens providing helpful feedback along the way!

In a BFTP here is a young Diana selecting her preferred roof color.
EF6ACCF3-5CC2-4694-B6E2-77795C71A40C.jpeg

Awww. Thank you!
I love designing stuff and I love re-purposing old stuff. The Chicken Palace gave me ample opportunity for both. I would have loved doing that even without the chickens providing helpful feedback along the way!

In a BFTP here is a young Diana selecting her preferred roof color.
View attachment 3662247
I don't have a choice to pass by the chicken run with nothing to give them. Otherwise they make me regret it. They have trained me!

Ha'penny is a Campine. They are considered super flighty & not suitable chickens for beginners. They are completely mad. She is the last of the 5 I had & my oldest chicken now, but not my lead hen.she is too flighty & independent.

On the other hand Portia is a frizzled Wyandotte. They are spectacular frizzled.
Gosh yea she is spectacular- the frizzle really shows the feather detailing.

Camping you say? I will need to read about them. I have not seen anything like that here in Ontario.

Edit - autocorrect again - campine I meant!

Last edited:
I don't have a choice to pass by the chicken run with nothing to give them. Otherwise they make me regret it. They have trained me!
My Nana actually made a huge mistake last week. We have a pomegranate tree. The chooks like that area. My Nana walks over to pick pomegranates. The entire time, she was being mobbed by seven little hens. She then succumbed to the pressure and gave them a pomegranate.

Back
Top Bottom