1000001520.jpg

Yesterday was a much better day for princess
1000001516.jpg

I've taken on board about cat food towards feeding princess, it was a huge success.
There's a store in my nearest town that has their own brand. It's a pate' turkey with liver. I mixed this into her layers and mixed corn and she happily sat on my lap and ate. Making her little approving sounds. She was eating her layers as well as I'd mixed everything in together.

She's now in the garden but I'll have to sadly put her out the back shortly because I only had on tray of the pate' and will have to get more. Would sardines be okay under these circumstances or would this be to oily?
1000001523.jpg

I've taken on board about cat food towards feeding princess, it was a huge success.
There's a store in my nearest town that has their own brand. It's a pate' turkey with liver. I mixed this into her layers and mixed corn and she happily sat on my lap and ate. Making her little approving sounds. She was eating her layers as well as I'd mixed everything in together.

She's now in the garden but I'll have to sadly put her out the back shortly because I only had on tray of the pate' and will have to get more. Would sardines be okay under these circumstances or would this be to oily?
View attachment 3680963
Hey Marie ! It's good to see Princess is doing better and I hope you are as well.
You probably have given her the sardines by now, but here is my opinion. Fat in itself isn't necessarily an issue for chickens every now and then, just like for us, especially something like virgin olive or safflower oil which is usually what comes around the sardines. Excessive carbohydrates are much more likely to make chickens fat and unhealthy (corn..).But the oil in the sardines automatically multiply the number of calories by three or four so you have to take this into account and give Princess a smaller portion. I don't know what size your tins are ; ours vary from 90 to 110 grams, and if it's on addition to what the chicken usually eats and not instead of, I give about a fourth daily to a single chicken, more or less depending on it's size.

Or, you can maybe buy sardines without oil. I do that but you have to rinse them because they are kept in salted water. They have much less calories.

In that second diagram I defy anyone to tell the difference between pea, walnut, rose and strawberry.
I officially give up. Just like breeds, it seems to me that we have classified them to death. I get single combs and I get close to the head puffy combs and of course all the v-shaped ones. I will leave my comb identifying at that level.
And all these combs of course exist on the very plentiful breed of 'pretty chickens'!
So what would this be, a straight and rose hybrid 😂?
IMG_20231111_131819.jpg

I have another question for you people that are used to giving antibiotics. Up to now I was always prescribed the same one for wounds and bumblefeet and the chickens seemed otherwise healthy. Now I have just finished a ten days treatment for Lilly, who has bumblefoot, and because she has a heavy load of tapeworms I have also treated her consecutively with Panacur (fenbendazole) which did nothing, and Praziquantel a few days after (worm out gel) which I am hoping will be effective.
Anyway while she is not really unwell, she seems a bit down under, often resting, and just looking pale. I see people mentioning to use probiotics after a course of antibiotics, but we don't have any for birds here. Should I give her a tiny amount of yogurt for a while ? How about vitamins ? She used to hang out in the garden all the time but now she isn't so keen on going far, so i’m not sure if I should try supplementing her. Any idea ?

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

Last edited:
Hey Marie ! It's good to see Princess is doing better and I hope you are as well.
You probably have given her the sardines by now, but here is my opinion. Fat in itself isn't necessarily an issue for chickens every now and then, just like for us, especially something like virgin olive or safflower oil which is usually what comes around the sardines. Excessive carbohydrates are much more likely to make chickens fat and unhealthy (corn..).But the oil in the sardines automatically multiply the number of calories by three or four so you have to take this into account and give Princess a smaller portion. I don't know what size your tins are ; ours vary from 90 to 110 grams, and if it's on addition to what the chicken usually eats and not instead of, I give about a fourth daily to a single chicken, more or less depending on it's size.

Or, you can maybe buy sardines without oil. I do that but you have to rinse them because they are kept in salted water. They have much less calories.

View attachment 3680994
I have another question for you people that are used to giving antibiotics. Up to now I was always prescribed the same one for wounds and bumblefeet and the chickens seemed otherwise healthy. Now I have just finished a ten days treatment for Lilly, who has bumblefoot, and because she has a heavy load of tapeworms I have also treated her consecutively with Panacur (fenbendazole) which did nothing, and Praziquantel a few days after (worm out gel) which I am hoping will be effective.
Anyway while she is not really unwell, she seems a bit down under, often resting, and just looking pale. I see people mentioning to use probiotics after a course of antibiotics, but we don't have any for birds here. Should I give her a tiny amount of yogurt for a while ? How about vitamins ? She used to hang out in the garden all the time but now she isn't so keen on going far, so i’m not sure if I should try supplementing her. Any idea ?

Re: wormers & antibiotics

With horses that have had a heavy parasite load, if they were wormed and had a large amt shed their intestines become inflamed, I wonder if this is the case with Lilly.

I would give her supportive care and a soft food for a couple days. As long as she is eating and drinking I would give supportive care. Not really much else to do. With antibiotics the same - she could have some intestinal irritation. You can try yogurt (there is a type that is high in good bacteria but I can’t remember what it is now), I have given regular yogurt here as treats and they enjoy it.

Thank you for your input . :) it's appreciated.

She's had a mix of layers with some turkey and liver pate' cat food. She ate a good amount on her own while sitting on my lap.

How about if I soak the sardines to get the sunflower oil off a little? I have avoided the salted water due to the amount of sodium. So I'm wondering if a half of a sardine would be okay for her last meal with layers may help. 🤔

View attachment 3680994
Anyway while she is not really unwell, she seems a bit down under, often resting, and just looking pale. I see people mentioning to use probiotics after a course of antibiotics, but we don't have any for birds here. Should I give her a tiny amount of yogurt for a while ?
I've found the Greek yogurt was good for mine in the past. I used to put layers and banana in, banana has... vitamin, C B6, magnesium, potassium a little protein and a good sauce of fiber.

I really hope Lilly picks up. 🙏 is her comb going pale? Or is she molting? They get low when they are losing their feathers.

Now I'm thinking this may help princess 🤔. Maybe tomorrow when she's had more food inside her
How about vitamins ? She used to hang out in the garden all the time but now she isn't so keen on going far, so i’m not sure if I should try supplementing her. Any idea ?

Re: wormers & antibiotics

With horses that have had a heavy parasite load, if they were wormed and had a large amt shed their intestines become inflamed, I wonder if this is the case with Lilly.

I would give her supportive care and a soft food for a couple days. As long as she is eating and drinking I would give supportive care. Not really much else to do. With antibiotics the same - she could have some intestinal irritation. You can try yogurt (there is a type that is high in good bacteria but I can’t remember what it is now), I have given regular yogurt here as treats and they enjoy it.
I've just seen this. :)
You've just answered my question on the Greek yogurt. She loves cottage cheese to, we have a good one around here right now. That's a probiotic as well. I won't risk that today though

Remembrance Day
Also known as Armistice Day

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders Fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.