I only have hens. Tony is a hen. I mistaken her because of her name. Perhaps I need to consider a new name.
Oh no keep it! you said ‘he’ so I was wondering! I thought she was a she! 😊❤️

Toni is the girls spelling if that helps 🥰

Last edited:
Maybe call her Toni ?
Oi - ok SHRA!!!

I can pile my hay in the hay stall now that I moved the straw- the ladies are mad at me though! I wonder where they are laying their eggs now haha!
image.jpg

It’s a bit brisk today but they are outside having some fun finding grain I scattered in the old grass.
image.jpg

In addition to submitting it for a contest - I whole-heartedly vote for her to have that turned into a jugsaw puzzle, that once she has it put together, should frame and put on her wall!
Hahahaha wow that would about kill me doing it! Maybe make it only have 9 pieces in that case - not 6,000! 😆

I have posted that photo somewhere in some contest but nothing came of it.

Tomatilla stopped laying and is losing feathers a lot. It's a hard molt but she's catching up. I'm missing one blue egg every day.

Sally is 3 years old, turning 4 this spring, and she still lays an egg every other day. (she is an Isa Brown).
I have not seen moulting this time of year before! Of course I have only had chickens about 3 years.

Now if it were horses then yes! All my horses are starting to shed, normally start around mid January which they did.

Pip was not feeling well this morning. The classis "I don't feel good" stance: head hunched, tail down. I looked under her tail, and there was a glob of what looked like egg white mixed with poop under her vent.

I brought her inside, and washed her bum, and saw something sticking out of her vent. There was definitely more, so I probed her vent and worked this loose and pulled it out.
IMG_E5686.JPG

It was definitely a soft eggshell. This is a little bigger than lifesize; the drop of blood was wasn't that big.

This was on the outside of the shell.
IMG_E5688.JPG

It looked like a bit of the meat from "meaty snack" I gave them on Friday. (Meaty snack is the stuff left from making bone broth.) But I'm not sure about that. I did not see anything that looked like lash material, other than the meat bit above.

I gave her a calcium citrate pill. The "pull down on the wattles" to get a chicken to open her beak really works.

She's now in a crate in the mudroom. She pooped the "starvation" poop: urates and a green little blob. She went for the feed that I put in the crate with her as if she was indeed very hungry.

I plan to keep her inside at least until tomorrow, and will give her another calcium in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom