Caught these two having a snooze

Lulu
5996A727-DFE8-409B-A9F9-F1C786240655.png

Reenie
A0757EDE-3A13-421F-A4E7-70B21DD6A24E.png

We figured out the mileage and the time, she calculated the fuel usage for a trip to Sioux Falls SD. But Dakota asked me if I was taking her to South Dakota. I had to tell her no! :idunno
SD is quite a flight, how many hops do you require to get there?

Hop to it Henny! Bless her she is still keeping those kids, 12 weeks this week!
332846EB-3E9C-4D30-AEFD-36B61543C274.jpeg

Some Sad News Regarding Phyllis (at least Phyllis thinks so)

As we have been celebrating some significant Hatchdays around these parts, it should be apparent to everyone that the tribe is starting to age a little. Most times in hens you really can't tell as they may slow down a little but they look like they have always. Except for poor Phyllis.

Phyllis is turning grey.

You can see it on the tips of her feathers. Check out these close ups from today's fluffy bun photos and look closely.

View attachment 3744143View attachment 3744144

I have noticed before that the feathers on her head would whiten as the year went on but I really couldn't prove it. There are so many and they move about so much. But these tips turning white are undeniable.

What is disturbing Phyllis the most is that there is no real feather dye for chickens. Sadly for her, she is going to have to wear the proof of her age proudly.

For those who don't know Phyllis will be 5 in October so she's about 4.5 years old right now.
Awww… Phyllis. Ya gotta love her, grey and all!

Hi folks. My flock, too, is aging. Bridge will be eight this month. She has a bum leg, but here she is ranging today:
IMG_7905.jpeg

Little Mill has a bad leg, too, but has since she was a pullet. She’ll be seven in May. Since days are lengthening and Spring is threatening to come early, her hormones are kicking in. Darn! Can’t she be done with that already? The hormones caused her to bloat right up. However, here she is being gorgeous after low-dose aspirin:
IMG_7904.jpeg

Buttercup, Minnie Minnie and Roxy also say hello:
IMG_7878.jpeg

IMG_7881.jpeg

IMG_7883.jpeg

Unfortunately, I don’t have any current photos of the “babies,” Flo and Flash, who are 3 1/2. They both just started laying again.
IMG_7857.jpeg

I hope everyone’s doing well. Sorry I haven’t been active on BYC nor this thread. I just got really busy at work focusing on my personal health. It’s always nice to pop in!

Jaffar he woke me up, wanting breakfast. Then we went back to sleep 🛌. He just now woke up again, and I told him “give me another half hour please sir.
So he laid down within petting distance.
Yes, wattles will be rubbed!
:old
Good morning.

I wake up at the slightest sound. I'd never sleep with jaffar

Last edited:
Hi folks. My flock, too, is aging. Bridge will be eight this month. She has a bum leg, but here she is ranging today:
View attachment 3745945

Little Mill has a bad leg, too, but has since she was a pullet. She’ll be seven in May. Since days are lengthening and Spring is threatening to come early, her hormones are kicking in. Darn! Can’t she be done with that already? The hormones caused her to bloat right up. However, here she is being gorgeous after low-dose aspirin:
View attachment 3745946

Buttercup, Minnie Minnie and Roxy also say hello:
View attachment 3745947
View attachment 3745948
View attachment 3745949

Unfortunately, I don’t have any current photos of the “babies,” Flo and Flash, who are 3 1/2. They both just started laying again.
View attachment 3745951

I hope everyone’s doing well. Sorry I haven’t been active on BYC nor this thread. I just got really busy at work focusing on my personal health. It’s always nice to pop in!
So lovely to hear from you and see pictures of your lovely ladies.
🥰

Pip was not feeling well this morning. The classis "I don't feel good" stance: head hunched, tail down. I looked under her tail, and there was a glob of what looked like egg white mixed with poop under her vent.

I brought her inside, and washed her bum, and saw something sticking out of her vent. There was definitely more, so I probed her vent and worked this loose and pulled it out.
View attachment 3745512
It was definitely a soft eggshell. This is a little bigger than lifesize; the drop of blood was wasn't that big.

This was on the outside of the shell.
View attachment 3745513
It looked like a bit of the meat from "meaty snack" I gave them on Friday. (Meaty snack is the stuff left from making bone broth.) But I'm not sure about that. I did not see anything that looked like lash material, other than the meat bit above.

I gave her a calcium citrate pill. The "pull down on the wattles" to get a chicken to open her beak really works.

She's now in a crate in the mudroom. She pooped the "starvation" poop: urates and a green little blob. She went for the feed that I put in the crate with her as if she was indeed very hungry.

I plan to keep her inside at least until tomorrow, and will give her another calcium in the morning.
That is obviously concerning. Please keep us updated on her progress. :hugs :hugs

I have no idea really - I would post in the emergencies thread.
To me it looks like either a soft shelled egg - maybe with some intestinal lining or a lash egg.
Definitely calcium and definitely make sure she is eating and pooping.
I don't really see a need to isolate her apart from wanting to observe her poop and feed intake.
The big question is whether or not to put her on antibiotics. I probably wouldn't. I think Bob might say to do so.
I do hope she recovers!
I would not recommend antibiotics. If it is just a soft shelled egg she needed help clearing there is no need for antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom