Thieves!
I have been sharing cracked corn with the ladies from time to time. There was a small cut on the side of the bag down near the bottom. Sydney found it and used it to help herself. I thought it was cute.

I forgot to bring the bag in with me this morning. This is what I found at lunch time. The cut was now over 2 inches long.

View attachment 3746622

It is going to snow tonight. They will not be eating their ill gotten gains for a little while.
I have a concern for mold - why not sweep that up and keep it dry...or not let them eat it past a day or two after getting wet. Whatever the overnight mice leave, that is!

Last edited:
It looked to me like there was enough shell and stuff for two soft eggs in that first pic. I've been a bit behind, waiting for someone to mention it. So my feeling is she's been "backed up" for a few days before that at least.
I wonder if scarring from coccidiosis could cause some difficulty passing an egg - where the intestinal and reproductive systems share tissues?
I wondered about there being two shells. Perhaps, but Pip is also the one who laid the record biggest egg at 84 grams and then broke that record a few days later with one that was 85. Both were double yolks.

What damage does coccidiosis do to the inside of a chicken? I've never seen anything about that, just that it's deadly, but thankfully easy to treat.

Pip was the smallest of the chicks when they arrived; I don't know if that has anything to do with her issues either. She seems to be a fighter!

ALL HAIL THE QUEEN!
Today is her 5th Hatchday! All the tribe wanted to celebrate with her! It is no surprise that while Hattie's 5th party was very proper, Aurora's was a free for all. Sydney refused to wait for Aurora to even get there and just dived in.

More photos to come as the celebration goes on!
Happy Hatchday to the beautiful illustrious lady 👑 of Fluffy Butt Acres, the flipper of Phyllis, the ruler of the iron beak, queen Aurora 🎂!

I had to have some much needed chicken/tv therapy time this afternoon. Branch quickly let me know he was unavailable. The hens are picking back up laying and he has rooster duties to attend to nest building for all the girls. That is ok little man, I now have a back up therapy chicken.
Poppet.
We start out on the towel in front of me and select one of my Investigation Discovery shows.
View attachment 3744270
Show selected I have about 2 minutes to get comfy and move the towel to my lap. Poppet is a lap chicken.
View attachment 3744272View attachment 3744273View attachment 3744275
She quickly snuggles in.
View attachment 3744276View attachment 3744277
In the end she is perched on my hand and purring away.
View attachment 3744278View attachment 3744279
She is not at Branch level for tv time yet. I can get 2 hours on the towel without him pooping. Poppet can now make it 1 full 44 minute episode without pooping. I will take it.
I am myself not a huge fan of silkies but this beauty makes me reconsider! She is so pretty and those blue ears 💙 what a cutie 🥰

I went out to bash the snow off the newly installed hawk netting in the chicken garden.
Quite an adventure. I measured the snow at just about 8” and it is still snowing hard.
The netting is holding up quite well - basically the PVC flagpoles are very bendy. I bashed the snow off and I think it will cope with the rest of this storm.
Lots of snow inside the chicken runs. And one of their hardware covered runs is so caked in snow that the dirt underneath is snow free. They are standing in there and lapping up the snow from the underside of the hardware cloth!
They really like pecking at snow but had ZERO interest in joining me in the ankle deep stuff outside.

IMG_4946.jpeg
IMG_4948.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom