CSI Chicken Palace

I have analyzed security camera footage, psychologically profiled the chief suspects, and mapped the locations and sizes of the eggy footprints.

Piglet and Pooh returned to the scene of the crime several times today. Suspicious!

There is a gap in the camera footage at the crucial moment (which turned out to be last night after lockup but before bed). Suspicious.

There are eggy footprints of at least three different individuals and they extend up to high shelves and door handles.

Please note. Egg on the floor is a serious slipping hazard!

My conclusion is that Bernie was helping Pooh find a good nest site for her first egg. In doing so she managed to push open the door between the nest box and the servant quarters.

She looked around but came out quite fast and went to bed.

In the morning Pooh went in and invited her friends Tassels and Calypso to look around. All three came out and Pooh settled down to consider laying an egg.

Piglet the meany, not content with bullying Sylvie, went after Poo and chased her into the servant quarters. Kerfuffle ensued and the door got slammed shut trapping them both in there.

Somewhere along the way Pooh did lay her first egg. It is a similar size to Piglet’s but a more brilliant blue (ink supplies are full).

Congratulations Pooh on your first egg. I realize the mayhem wasn’t really your fault.
View attachment 3744289View attachment 3744290View attachment 3744291View attachment 3744292
What a beautiful egg! She really does lay on that blue. Congratulations 🎉

I have a concern for mold - why not sweep that up and keep it dry...or not let them eat it past a day or two after getting wet. Whatever the overnight mice leave, that is!
I have that worry when it snows into the hanging feeder. I even swapped the feeders around so the one with a lid is in the least sheltered run.
But I think they will eat up the wet pellets pretty fast.
I don’t think Bob is doing any sweeping. It is all under several inches of snow by now.

I went out to bash the snow off the newly installed hawk netting in the chicken garden.
Quite an adventure. I measured the snow at just about 8” and it is still snowing hard.
The netting is holding up quite well - basically the PVC flagpoles are very bendy. I bashed the snow off and I think it will cope with the rest of this storm.
Lots of snow inside the chicken runs. And one of their hardware covered runs is so caked in snow that the dirt underneath is snow free. They are standing in there and lapping up the snow from the underside of the hardware cloth!
They really like pecking at snow but had ZERO interest in joining me in the ankle deep stuff outside.

View attachment 3746866View attachment 3746867
That is quite a bit of snow! ❄️ be careful out there!

And my twofer Tuesday picture.
Piglet and Sylvie.
It is the best I could get today.

IMG_4950.jpeg

New Nest box - none of girls would use the lovely nest boxes I purchased last year and they were all laying in the bedding in the coop instead. We decided to try this and they absolutely love it. I may end up putting in a divider but for now all seems well. The big girls (the jubilees) seem particularly happy about the space.
IMG_0729.jpeg

Some photos from today:
Lore:
IMG_0751.jpeg

Flours fluffy butt:
IMG_0750.jpeg

Brownie and Flour paling around
IMG_0749.jpeg

Brownie came to visit me:
IMG_0746.jpeg

Look behind the tree 😂
IMG_0736.jpeg

Action shots:
IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

Avalon:
IMG_0737.jpeg

Most of the crew pecking around:
IMG_0741.jpeg

New Nest box - none of girls would use the lovely nest boxes I purchased last year and they were all laying in the bedding in the coop instead. We decided to try this and they absolutely love it. I may end up putting in a divider but for now all seems well. The big girls (the jubilees) seem particularly happy about the space.
View attachment 3746873
Some photos from today:
Lore:
View attachment 3746876
Flours fluffy butt:
View attachment 3746877
Brownie and Flour paling around
View attachment 3746878
Brownie came to visit me:
View attachment 3746880
Look behind the tree 😂
View attachment 3746881
Action shots:
View attachment 3746882
View attachment 3746883
Avalon:
View attachment 3746884
Most of the crew pecking around:
View attachment 3746887
The ‘look behind the tree’ photo is hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom