Thirsty Thursday!
1000006427.jpg

Another egg from Hen-Rietta this morning. I found Sir Jaffar guarding it. She had long since left after laying it. I’m not going to incubate her eggs, or anyone’s for that matter. But I might increase my tribe size this spring.
My preference would be:
EE’s
Speckled Suspects
Brown Leghorns
Or possibly Buff Brahmas or Orpingtons
I’m not convinced yet. :old :idunno
Take into account the heat you can have there in summer. Brahmas might be easily heat stressed? Unless you can arrange to cool them well, or have them inside. Or you might be moving to the mountains? 🏔️

Yes I have checked them out, but with shipping it would be extremely expensive for just a few chicks. They want a six chick min ($150) plus shipping of over $170 - taxes…. Well over $325 for 6 chicks!

I can get chicks from Peavey for $11/chick…. No shipping costs 😟
Incubate some eggs then? Either way it's straight-run.

Take into account the heat you can have there in summer. Brahmas might be easily heat stressed? Unless you can arrange to cool them well, or have them inside. Or you might be moving to the mountains? 🏔️
Based on my experience, I'd think that Brahmas aren't the best in the warmer climates. If you really want Brahmas, I would say get Light Brahmas because of their white coloring. It helps reflect excess sunlight.

Another egg from Hen-Rietta this morning. I found Sir Jaffar guarding it. She had long since left after laying it. I’m not going to incubate her eggs, or anyone’s for that matter. But I might increase my tribe size this spring.
My preference would be:
EE’s
Speckled Suspects
Brown Leghorns
Or possibly Buff Brahmas or Orpingtons
I’m not convinced yet. :old :idunno
EEs are heat-tolerant, and Brown Leghorns are Mediterranean and naturally heat tolerant. Speckled Suspects........ well.... what type of Speckled chook are you looking for....
🤔🧐

Anyways, Orpingtons!
They are preferred for the colder climates, but I personally have no problem raising them. As a matter of fact, I have many of them myself! 9 of them!

EEs are heat-tolerant, and Brown Leghorns are Mediterranean and naturally heat tolerant. Speckled Suspects........ well.... what type of Speckled chook are you looking for....
🤔🧐

Anyways, Orpingtons!
They are preferred for the colder climates, but I personally have no problem raising them. As a matter of fact, I have many of them myself! 9 of them!
I am admiring the Thirsty Thursday pic, that roo has a beautiful comb! He's a Buff Orpington I think?

BUT the downside of that is that you may get too many roosters. Did I ever tell you how my hen Onyx was hatched in an incubator, and she had 5 rooster brothers?
View attachment 3748992
3 of them as babies. (Onyx is in the back)
View attachment 3748995
:lau I'm sorry for laughing, really I am. This hits home. Those that have known me long enough know my rooster ratio is permanently skewed when I hatch myself. When I hatch I want and need pullets. holding strong at about a 80%+ ratio of hatching off cockerels. Corona was the only pullet with 7 brothers. Momma Hens sneaky clutch of 10, 9 lived, 7 cockerels. Then there was Kit and Kat, a clutch of hers of only 2, 100% male. That is just a few of the examples. Adding insult to injury, when I sell hatching eggs, those who get back with me, end up getting mostly pullets. Simply put, my hens hate me.

Oooo! I take it back yes they do have the Old English Bantams 🥰💕

Ok!
View attachment 3748893

Of course my luck they would all be Roos that I get 😩
Be careful with those. If I am reading it right you do not get to choose the breeds in the assortment. I am not thinking uh oh roosters either. Look what is pictured underneath the silver seabrights. Those are Old English Game. Lovely hardy birds, if you want a Bat Crap Crazy Momma hen. Get you 1, the little demon will be up in the rafters and hiding her eggs in your barn loft by 6 months. If you try to break her up, you will invent new curse words for her. You will also call her every single name under the sun when she sneaks off and comes home with chicks in tow.

Back
Top Bottom