We've had powder drifting down off and on all day...with winter weather alerts into Friday. Tems we're mid 20sF, but plummeting after dark. Came home to chicken tracks getting snowed in...looks like 1-2 birds only. Temps on Friday....around 0F (-17C) up to upper teens F. All the fresh stuff is powder: great for skiing....terrible for moisture. As long as it stays on the scant side, they'll want out
....once it stops coming down....at least some of them....and who is out will change. Should be bouncing back up into thawing ranges Sunday/Monday, so they will be out and about again.
What a crazy winter this year for all of us.

Soon spring though.

Fluffy butts from April 2023
ED141BE1-34FE-49BF-BCF5-131E43B812E9.jpeg
8CC19018-E157-4C4B-8806-460228480F28.jpeg

Oh I hope she is ok, sounds like a sprain or bruising - can you give her some aspirin to help with pain and inflammation?

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to share what’s going on with my Bridge.

Post in thread 'Injury or Neurological Issue?'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/injury-or-neurological-issue.1603977/post-27496333
Be careful on the aspirins.
Personally I found turmeric in the food helped Tina heaps when she hurt herself

I don’t think your average hawk would tackle a 10lb chicken.
It would. A SMALL hawk (I swear it was a Kestral!) attacked a barnyard mutt of mine here years ago - she was about 9 lbs. Hubby was working on the run roof - the hawk attacked just around the corner of the barn (JUST out of sight of him)...he got down to see what was up when the uproar by the chickens didn't stop as it usually would after a sighting - to see the girl pinned by the neck by the hawk and it eating her neck (already had made short work of plucking an 'entry spot') My sweet Henrietta - one of 3 chicks the school hatched (eggs provided by a maintenance/farm hand) He didn't want to deal with integration of only 3 chicks - so they were offered to me...and she was the only girl.

Back
Top Bottom