It would. A SMALL hawk (I swear it was a Kestral!) attacked a barnyard mutt of mine here years ago - she was about 9 lbs. Hubby was working on the run roof - the hawk attacked just around the corner of the barn (JUST out of sight of him)...he got down to see what was up when the uproar by the chickens didn't stop as it usually would after a sighting - to see the girl pinned by the neck by the hawk and it eating her neck (already had made short work of plucking an 'entry spot') My sweet Henrietta - one of 3 chicks the school hatched (eggs provided by a maintenance/farm hand) He didn't want to deal with integration of only 3 chicks - so they were offered to me...and she was the only girl.
Oh no! That’s awful. I thought they went for smaller prey.

And giant roosters have tackled hawks....
Hmmm...I am seeing a big Tassels type Rooster in @RoyalChick 's future! She needs a 'guardian Roo'!!!

Maybe a cross between a Hamburg and a Jersey Giant (hamburg for the Gumption - like Cheeta, but Jersey Giant for the size......🤔🤭🤔

(P.S. @rural mouse : I only chuckled because I LOVED your 'subtle' enabling for a Roo!)

Hmmm...I am seeing a big Tassels type Rooster in @RoyalChick 's future! She needs a 'guardian Roo'!!!

Maybe a cross between a Hamburg and a Jersey Giant (hamburg for the Gumption - like Cheeta, but Jersey Giant for the size......🤔🤭🤔
The hawks may not be afraid, but I would be!

The one I washed went back to being lavender once it dried. So the color must be coming from the shell not a result of the bloom.
I have never focused on bloom before - I assume I don't need soap to wash it off? I just rubbed it under the kitchen faucet.
It rinses right off.

(P.S. @rural mouse : I only chuckled because I LOVED your 'subtle' enabling for a Roo!)
I have plans to get another eventually. As long as I have Hector, I simply can't justify another, larger black rooster (white and blue giants are harder to find around here). The feed store does get in giants sometimes. Maybe some giant pullets instead....so I can see what crops up with a Cheetah cross.... although...5 of 6 Cheetah offspring (first round) got his size and build. Shan is also his through Belladonna (or Primula), and while she has the Brahma build, she doesn't have their size....yet... they didn't really seem LARGE until their adult moult this fall. I won't really know if Shan will come near that size until next fall.:caf

I've been contemplating getting some chicks to work with Sherlock in the the house (in spite of the fact that raising them in the coop has fantastic results). Giants may have to be a higher priority in that maybe list. (And only stay in the house for a couple of days...) more head scratching (and stopping in to see what they have) is required

Some fluffy butts from the last week of so
20240213_071610.jpg
Enigma, Blanche, and Maizie

I am watching the Buckeyes because one or both of them laid a thin-shelled egg (got two, and two good ones) this week. I am seeing the Spuds eat oyster shell but not the Buckeyes. I hate to give either of them pills, it is stressful for them. They are on Nutrena Feather Fixer which is slightly less calcium than a Layer would be. But I have seen Hazel take crushed eggshells.

Do you think your Buckeyes will take some calcium in a bit of bread? I cut my tablets in quarters with a pill cutter. The other night Marty thought I had treats and gobbled her piece hahahaha.
azygous offered this tip:

Chickens love peanut butter. Cut the calcium pill into pieces and coat them with PB.

My Pippy will take the Amox from my hand. Maybe because it's smaller and yellow...? Anyway, if I need to give her calcium again, I'll try the PB trick. Holding her head still and pulling down on her wattles and stuffing a the big calcium pill down her throat was very difficult with two hands (ie, just me) and very traumatic for her.

Another possibility would be to crush it and mix it in with her mash treat, but it would be difficult to keep the others out of that, and I don't want to separate her if I don't need to.

Back
Top Bottom