They need something more to keep them occupied. My chooks start acting up when they get bored 🥱! I usually hang up some apples or a cabbage. Re-arrange the coop and run. Just anything that breaks the monotony.
Oh they aren’t bored, the barn is a chicken haven, stacks of straw and hay to climb and dig in and crap on :sick

There isn’t a bug or spider within 2’ of the ground on any of the walls, they have learnt that they can get up on the 2x12 beams easy access from the straw stack. There is yummy horse poop and straw bedding to dig through, any bits of grain passing through the horses and ending up in their poop is a delight treat it seems!

Outside the wild birds - ravens and crows - pick through it for grains also 😁

I think it’s spring fever, hormones are surging, it’s time for the broody old bats to start hogging nest boxes to be broody.

They are also mad at not being able to get outside, they won’t go out in the snow, it’s evil white stuff!

Last summer I shoved 3 silkies and a mutt under my to co-broody silkies (Fluffy and Curly), here they are enjoying the dirt haha
View attachment 3749653

then later in the summer Sophia went broody so I shoved 4 babies I bought at the feed store under her 💕 she was an awesome mum! 5 yrs old and had never been broody before!
View attachment 3749656
What a lovely photo of Sophie and her babies 🧡

What are they blowing up?
The base personnel do ‘live fire’ exercises where they use weapons and explosives to practice military and security maneuvers. All our country’s in NATO share in experience and training, CFB Borden (here in Angus) is Canada‘a largest training base apparently, and has not only personnel from all over Canada but also the world.

It’s also our townships second largest employer. Getting a job there is like winning the lottery.

Tax

Bert is growing up, he is even getting little wattles - not as nice as his Dada but he has wee ones.
661E3477-A370-4E71-B57D-43A7D95B5B85.jpeg
02D278E6-635E-44D1-BB1F-4B793F62269B.jpeg

Looking through Craigslist and I saw so many people trying to rehome their roosters, it’s so sad 😭. I don’t need another roo at this time. But I am looking for EE chicks. 🐥 very young for them to imprint with me. Tomorrow I will call the hatchery in Fresno to see if they have any available.
I am eggcited for you! How many are you thinking?

Marans 10000000%
Shep is the sweetest, softest, nicest girl in the world. Fluffy bum, fluffy legs, fluffy heart.
View attachment 3749850View attachment 3749851View attachment 3749852View attachment 3749853
Agree on the hens 100% Brownie is a benevolent leader here. She was an excellent mother and tolerated me fussing over her and her babies.
IMG_0747.jpeg

Roos though…. Well my personal experience was not great. He was absolutely stunning but omg 😱 not very kindhearted to humans at all after the hormones kicked in.
IMG_0766.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom