@Ponypoor it's been cold & windy here, 13F (-10C) this morning at 8am, got up to barely 18F (7C) in the sun at midday, now down back to 10F (-12C). Everybody was pretty fluffed out today.
Brrrr! That’s also chilly! I bet they were fluffed up! Soon spring though tell them 😊💕

We are in for a big warmup tomorrow. My gang was not very happy today but they did go outside for a bit - but gosh the wind was so fierce they all came back in even though it was sunny! Poor Twister was shivering she was cold. I finally just closed up the barn again and made them stay inside.

Interesting. She does not look like Hattie color wise.
That is because Hattie is a black chicken modified by the lavender gene(s) and Piglet is a cream colored chicken modified by the lavender gene(s).
They are both lavender but on a different base.
@rural mouse - am I beginning to understand correctly?

Ash is a nice example of blue, she thinks.
View attachment 3756424
View attachment 3756425
Grey body, dark grey head, lovely dark lacing.
View attachment 3756426
Also Shep and Morinth want to be counted as black chickens. Morinth has those golden spots, like a dancers belt.
View attachment 3756438
And Kasumi...not sure since she is splash. Her breed is sapphire splash, but is she lavender splash?
Kasumi is splash: 2 copies of the diluted black gene. If she had only one copy, she would be blue, similar to Ash. Morinth.....apparently in chickens they're NEVER. called black laced (dunno why), so she's golden (like golden wyandottes who have the black edging, but usually have gold (in varying degrees) heads). As much black as she's sporting, she's breaking all the descriptor rules and is simply gorgeous.

@Ponypoor, did you get new hens? I thought I saw something about you getting stuck with a hen that isn’t a Brahma?
No I have no new ones, I was just disappointed the feed store here won’t be getting dark Brahmas in from Peavey Mart.

I am now looking at their Midnight Majesty Marans they do have on offer.

Last edited:
okay - I hate to say this when you are having such a rough day/week....
but
@RebeccaBoyd

It.is.all.your.fault!!!!

Look what I found today hidden away in the barn (note, the barn is dilapidated, but I use it to store bags of shavings (on pallets off the floor, as the roof leaks in spots) and feed in metal bins:

IMG_5814.jpg
IMG_5813.jpg

Yup. Broody little bugger!!! This is too early for you to go broody!!!! You usually wait until June, when it is nice out - I am not prepared to protect a momma and brood yet.....:barnie:barnie:barnie

(I'm secretly happy - but also nervous because I'm not yet set up for her - and I would hate for anything to happen to her - the rats are in force, and the barn is not predator proof - I have found an opossum and a raccoon in there at different time - plus a skunk - as there are gapes, holes, rotten siding at the bottom.

Oops my bad! Sorry!

Well heck! No wonder it took me so long to get home once from Lexington at a horseshow!

Someone suckered me into dropping their horse off at their place somewhere in PA - told
me it would be on my way home. It took me hours more to get home!

Beautiful going through all the hilly country (though hauling the horse trailer was a bit scary on some of the steep downhill sections!), but I didn’t even get a thank you from them! Or compensation for fuel! Sheesh!

And toll roads! I never again drove anyones horse anywhere.
No good deed ever goes unpunished! :old

Back
Top Bottom