They eat a three gallon bag down in like 15 minutes and don’t even say thank you!
But that is their way of saying 'thank you'.

Just like in some cultures, seconds means you enjoyed a meal and is a compliment to the chef! (and in other cultures, leaving a tiny bit on your plate - indicating you are stuffed & satisfied). Then devouring it in mere minutes IS their way of saying 'Thanks, mom, this is the BEST, yummy treat!

internet image of chicken enjoying greens"
Chickens eat the tender green leaves from bolting lettuce Stock Photo -  Alamy

Most of my yard is bare soil and mulch (it was a carpet of invasive ivy and blackberries when we moved in, but once removed was too steep and shady for grass to be an option. Revegetating is slow going, but we’re putting in mostly native perennials, which the chickens don’t find delicious). So letting them range just means eating crickets and worms, not greens.

So, your efforts are much less labor intensive than what I do over the winter for mine!:
1710075973155.png

These are peas - I really don't have any where near enough space to grow enough given the size of my flock - and it takes a few weeks to get to this point (though, I admit, this particular window box, I gave the pea shoots a haircut and put them in an omlet last weekend.

1710076282368.png

1710076305633.png

These aren't the best pictures, but they are BOSS sprouts. The last picture - these are almost ready - another day or two and the kiddos will get the treat...then the other pic (sorry, these aren't the best quality) will need probably about 4 days before being ready to eat. Again, though, with the size of my gang, it is just a drop in the bucket!

I also get the pulled off cabbage leaves at one of the stores I shop (they let me take them for the chooks), but cabbage sales were slow for while - got a good stash yesterday (and I bought 5 cabbages - 1 for hubby and I - as it was 29cents a pound. Unfortunately, the 4 for them will be gone in less than 1/2 hour when I put them out!)

So, your efforts are much less labor intensive than what I do over the winter for mine!:
View attachment 3768469
These are peas - I really don't have any where near enough space to grow enough given the size of my flock - and it takes a few weeks to get to this point (though, I admit, this particular window box, I gave the pea shoots a haircut and put them in an omlet last weekend.

View attachment 3768472
View attachment 3768473
These aren't the best pictures, but they are BOSS sprouts. The last picture - these are almost ready - another day or two and the kiddos will get the treat...then the other pic (sorry, these aren't the best quality) will need probably about 4 days before being ready to eat. Again, though, with the size of my gang, it is just a drop in the bucket!

I also get the pulled off cabbage leaves at one of the stores I shop (they let me take them for the chooks), but cabbage sales were slow for while - got a good stash yesterday (and I bought 5 cabbages - 1 for hubby and I - as it was 29cents a pound. Unfortunately, the 4 for them will be gone in less than 1/2 hour when I put them out!)
I have a feeling you have explained this to me before, but how do you stop them from getting moldy? I had to give up growing shoots for my Princesses because they always got white hairy mold on them!
Fortunately they LOVE whole cabbage and so do I and so we share. I eat half and they eat the other half.

A fox might eat a baby one if it was caught above ground, but they would never risk encountering an healthy adult. They have massive claws and are very strong from all the digging.
What kind of cat litter? Just a bit, or fill up the hole? I need to try this.

Tax
View attachment 3768388
I’ll buy some cat litter myself and try this too. I will be checking the trap today.

I have a feeling you have explained this to me before, but how do you stop them from getting moldy? I had to give up growing shoots for my Princesses because they always got white hairy mold on them!
Fortunately they LOVE whole cabbage and so do I and so we share. I eat half and they eat the other half.
Nice to share with family! :hugs

View attachment 3768469

View attachment 3768472
View attachment 3768473

You could try fodder. I found an awesome article about it yesterday... and closed the tab. Now I can't find it anymore :th

The most wonderful sound in the world is Sir Jaffar stretching his lungs and COCORICO! He’s telling all those neighboring roosters that “these are my ladies so back off!”
:thumbsup
(If you don't mind my saying, chickens' lungs don't stretch. It's really their air sacs that stretch-- so that's why they flap their wings before crowing...)

Back
Top Bottom